Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2018, 05:16 PM   #1

3D Printing 986 Headrest / Wind Diffuser Mesh Grilles

Long time lurker and 986S owner. I've noticed a lot of cars driving around with missing mesh grilles in the back of the headrest roll bars, and thought I'd 3D scan and try 3D printing some. Funny story, while I was test driving 986es, one guy accused me of stealing his! Anyhow that got my gears turning and I figured since they're hard to find I'd scan some.

I've made a model and printed a few out, they test fit in my friends car ok, although I strongly encourage you using some insulation foam on the 3 clips to make them fit snugly. I'm considering modifying the design to make the clips larger, but they might snap off and break on installation, so there's a delicate balance there. I'm open to some feedback on them. I'm considering adding more clips or something.

I thought I'd post a link in case anyone wants some of their own. I was hoping they'd turn out a lot cheaper, but even on shapeways they are around $100 in just materials cost. Not making any money at this point just trying to recoup the cost of my scan and help anyone out who also is really annoyed by them being missing on so many cars out there.

Driver Side: https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q7YY5U9WY/986-driver-side-mesh-grille-wind-diffuser?optionId=68758902

Passenger Side: https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZES87KQ28/986-passenger-side-mesh-grille-wind-diffuser?optionId=68759435

nerdtalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Tyler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
Long time lurker and 986S owner. I've noticed a lot of cars driving around with missing mesh grilles in the back of the headrest roll bars, and thought I'd 3D scan and try 3D printing some. Funny story, while I was test driving 986es, one guy accused me of stealing his! Anyhow that got my gears turning and I figured since they're hard to find I'd scan some.

I've made a model and printed a few out, they test fit in my friends car ok, although I strongly encourage you using some insulation foam on the 3 clips to make them fit snugly. I'm considering modifying the design to make the clips larger, but they might snap off and break on installation, so there's a delicate balance there. I'm open to some feedback on them. I'm considering adding more clips or something.

I thought I'd post a link in case anyone wants some of their own. I was hoping they'd turn out a lot cheaper, but even on shapeways they are around $100 in just materials cost. Not making any money at this point just trying to recoup the cost of my scan and help anyone out who also is really annoyed by them being missing on so many cars out there.

Driver Side: https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q7YY5U9WY/986-driver-side-mesh-grille-wind-diffuser?optionId=68758902

Passenger Side: https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZES87KQ28/986-passenger-side-mesh-grille-wind-diffuser?optionId=68759435

Is there any way you would be willing to sell just the file?

Former: 2005 Mercedes C230K 6MT.
redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
PLP

I was so "yay..." when I saw it, hoping the price would be a fraction of the original.
But since it almost twice as much - I will pass...

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #4

That is maybe $5 in material.

Granted, it had to have taken 40 hours to design/test it, but it isn't anywhere near $100 in material.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:33 AM   #5

Garage
My grilles had been sitting in a box since I bought the car. I finally repaired the cracks and installed them this year, before a summer trip. We found that they are a big improvement for top down driving. My clips were broken so I attached the grilles with a zip-tie on the bottom. I suggest including a slot at the bottom so a zip-tie will look more professional. This will make the installation more solid and discourage spur of the moment thieves that don't have their cutters with them.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #6

Nice job

You folks with 3D printing skill blow my mind
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
I was so "yay..." when I saw it, hoping the price would be a fraction of the original.
But since it almost twice as much - I will pass...
Me too. I mean, I cut mine out of perforated metal, put a rubber edge on it and zip tie it to the hoop, but I still thought it would be interesting to check out - even though I keep some flawless originals in a box.
Wind deflectors behind headrests

Are these somehow better than the ones that can be purchased new from a dealer at a lower cost? How does Porsche not have a problem with you scanning, re-manufacturing, and selling their part?

Congrats I guess.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #8

Doesn't look like the OP has ever come back here.

He is trying to sell each side for $200. Not sure what they are new but to me that is just stupid expensive. I have multiple printers and always coming up with things to print out. Some things take me minutes to design and some take me 100+ hours of design, test print, re-design, etc. That print looks great and I know it would be a pain to print but to me, that is just way too much money for something that is going to end up flying out of the car anyway and really doesn't help all that much.

2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote