Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #1

Interior storage options

I just bought a 2002 Boxster S, and I love it! My only complaint is that there's not a conventional glove box. There's a large open space under the dash, in front of the gear shift, and I imagine someone has figured out an after market storage unit that will fit there. Suggestions? This has a manual transmission, if that makes a difference.

daffodildeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

There are pockets on the sides of the doors, plus the console compartment between the seats. Do you have speakers in the back? If not, and you just have a basic shelf there is an additional storage “hump” that is easily added. It has accordion type doors that slide open for a decent amount of storage. There are also pockets on the backs of the seats, and of course a frunk and trunk.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodildeb View Post
I just bought a 2002 Boxster S, and I love it! My only complaint is that there's not a conventional glove box. There's a large open space under the dash, in front of the gear shift, and I imagine someone has figured out an after market storage unit that will fit there. Suggestions? This has a manual transmission, if that makes a difference.
Could you post a pic of this "large open space under the dash"? You may have the console delete, which deprives you of single or double DIN cubbyholes.

For all practical purposes, the Boxster has ample storage space (for a sports car), you just have to root it out.

Just sayin'...............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:08 AM   #4

Garage
I don't find any real need for a glove box. With the door pockets and center console it's about equal to other cars with a glove box. And most glove boxes just barely hold the paperwork and manual anyways and of course the all important leather driving gloves

You could also remove that piece of S!#* thing Porsche calls a cup holder and make a cubby. Would be much more useful and you would have less cleanup to do from everything that spills out of the cups in the cup holders
Old 08-21-2018, 06:14 AM   #5

At first I thought storage space would be an issue, but it's really not.
I have yet to find a good solution for the registration and insurance card other than locked and hidden away in one of the trunks.
(that actually got me out of a ticket once, since the cop didn't want take the time for me to root it out. He was very cool and asked a lot of questions about the car. Once I told him how they had depreciated out, he started asking me about how to buy one)
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
At first I thought storage space would be an issue, but it's really not.
I have yet to find a good solution for the registration and insurance card other than locked and hidden away in one of the trunks.
(that actually got me out of a ticket once, since the cop didn't want take the time for me to root it out. He was very cool and asked a lot of questions about the car. Once I told him how they had depreciated out, he started asking me about how to buy one)
Registration and insurance... behind the passenger seat, in the pouch.

However, I just might go the trunk/frunk route to capitalize on the scenario you described.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:42 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Registration and insurance... behind the passenger seat, in the pouch.

However, I just might go the trunk/frunk route to capitalize on the scenario you described.

Mine are in a case, setting in the tray under the steering wheel.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #8

I didn't want my paperwork nicked from the pouch, so I keep it in a large Ziplock, inside of a Thomas Guide (anyone remember those?), wrapped in a towel, buried in the frunk.

It's actually worked twice now that I think about it.

Another time I wound up in line for a DUI checkpoint.
I'm not a drinker, so no problem there.
I had the top down, there was a long line behind me, and when I explained to the officer where they were and what it would take to get them, he waved me through!

Living in SoCal, I hate having the top up!

YMMV though.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
You could also remove that piece of S!#* thing Porsche calls a cup holder and make a cubby. Would be much more useful and you would have less cleanup to do from everything that spills out of the cups in the cup holders
The cup holders are pefefectly adequate and engineered to meet design and functional requirements.

I assume the parameters submitted to the engineering group were to hold a container of a specified size and weight (and not to exceed such), that the liquid inside such container would not chill the container below the dew point and that the container at no point in time would have any exterior forces acting upon it (by assumption, the vehicle would remain stationary).

Design accomplished...kudos and bonuses for everyone on the team.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #10

"Delete" seems to be the operative word, but it's not the console. I do have a locking armrest compartment. Hopefully these photos will help.

BTW, while you're looking at the photos, is there anything I can do to replace or refinish the gearshift knob that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
Old 08-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #11

Yeah you have a console delete there, although looks homemade. A normal console looks like this, with pockets...

And and official delete with the 'real' kit looks like this...

Pretty sure you could buy used parts quite cheap from someone like Itsnotanova on here and 'reverse' the mod if whoever did it didn't mess too much up back there.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Mine are in a case, setting in the tray under the steering wheel.
Completely forgot about that tray!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
There are pockets on the sides of the doors, plus the console compartment between the seats. Do you have speakers in the back? If not, and you just have a basic shelf there is an additional storage “hump” that is easily added. It has accordion type doors that slide open for a decent amount of storage. There are also pockets on the backs of the seats, and of course a frunk and trunk.
I have speakers in back, so no shelf. I'm aware of the other spaces, but it's ridiculous to have a flat open space in front of the gearshift, which is absolutely useless, not even a tray. I'd be better off hot gluing a wicker basket there.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #14
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
I have speakers in back, so no shelf. I'm aware of the other spaces, but it's ridiculous to have a flat open space in front of the gearshift, which is absolutely useless, not even a tray. I'd be better off hot gluing a wicker basket there.
Agreed. I suggest you get rid of the ghetto plastic bits in front of the shifter and get a stock console with two single DIN cubbies. Contact forum member Woody (itsnotanova) for a deal on the console.

If you have an ashtray in your console, get rid of it and install an ashtray delete. That'll free up space for some small bits.

You can put your owners manual and insurance/reg paperwork in the tray under the steering wheel.

You have two door pockets that can hold a lot of stuff. Hang a plastic grocery bag on the hanger hook behind the seat backs for trash.

The passenger pocket on the side of the seat is designed for an umbrella.

To max out your interior space, 86 the speakers and get the shelf.

For overnight travel, there is custom fitted soft luggage available for about $150 that includes four pieces; two for the frunk and two for the trunk. You would be hard pressed to fill them all. Even including what your significant other packs.

Final analysis - there is NO reason you can't fit everything you need in a Boxster....................unless you need to transport a new GE 1200W microwave on Thanksgiving Eve.

Then you put the top down and wedge the carton in the passenger seat. I've done it.

Just sayin'..............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:37 AM   #15

Re refurbishing the shift knob ...

The knob can be removed fairly easily (search on here for instructions) and the 'metal' part prised out, there's been a few threads on here where people have repainted them successfully.

You can also buy replacement leather boots on ebay, e.g

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-PORSCHE-986-BOXSTER-CARRERA-996-LEATHER-GEAR-KNOB-SHIFT-BOOT-SKIN-COVER/390774072560?fits=Model%3ABoxster&epid=1790018853&hash=item5afbf324f0:g:rO4AAOSwk1hZ8aJV

(not recommending that vendor, just the first one that came up in a search, you'll find more if you look around.)
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #16

Classic 9 leather will do the shifter.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #17

Thanks, oldskool--the shift boot is okay, but I'd like a new shift knob. I don't think painting will do the job, as it appears the leather has peeled somewhat (metal is okay). You can see it in the photos I attached.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, oldskool--the shift boot is okay, but I'd like a new shift knob. I don't think painting will do the job, as it appears the leather has peeled somewhat (metal is okay). You can see it in the photos I attached.
The leather on the knob and the leather boot is all one piece.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #19

Okay, thanks.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Okay, thanks.
You definitely have some sort of hack delete there. Mine has a single cubby and climate controls in that spot. EBay would be a good source for a console, or one of our forum parts guys. Personally, if I didn’t have my climate controls in the lower unit, I would do the delete. Though I do use the single cubby for my wallet and phone. Perfect fit. I have a double din nav/stereo up higher, thus the positioning of my climate control. I have a cool insert for the center rear console as a dual cup holder if needed. Still works just fine as a storage bin too.

Regarding your shift boot, you could look at Function First knobs, they look great and install fairly easily. Or again, check with EBay or one of our guys for a new knob/boot.

Last edited by Geof3; 08-23-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote