Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #1

CDR23 Powers up, But no sound.

The factory CDR23 in my 03' powers up, the stations are indentified, all the controls work just no sound coming from it.

ANyone have this problem? If so can you lend a hand. I really don't want to spend 1.5 hours driving to and from the dealer for this if it is a simple fix.

Thanks, Joe

RAZOR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZOR1
The factory CDR23 in my 03' powers up, the stations are indentified, all the controls work just no sound coming from it.

ANyone have this problem? If so can you lend a hand. I really don't want to spend 1.5 hours driving to and from the dealer for this if it is a simple fix.

Thanks, Joe
Joe, I have the same problem with my '03 S. I find that it usually comes back on the next day. Mysterious.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #3

Hi,

I remember someone with these symptoms tracing it to a faulty (sticking) micro-switch in the Top Latch. Try gently working a finger, pencil or similar object into the switch to see if you can jog it loose and eliminate the problem. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #4

Just tried your suggestion.

1st let me see if I even have the right thing. Where you would pull the latch to release the locking mech of the top, there is a small hole that has a microswitch in it.

Is this the correct spot? If so I tried that, I can push it with my finger. When I do the windows will roll down a bit , this is with the top unlatched and partialy out of the way. I'm sorry to say I don't think that is the problem. I wish it was.

Great suggestion.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #5

Hi,

There are a number of issues related to the CDR23 in the '03 models. There are several TSBs regarding inoperative sound. Some are the result of a PST2 Tester with the wrong software version (14.0) being used on the Car and several relate to cars with the PSM option. Clearing Fault Codes using the 14.0 software can render the CDR23 and Amplifier's sound inoperative.

Porsche first suggests getting out of the car, locking the Car with the hand-held transmitter, wait until the Alarm LED flashes and then unlock the car and turn on the CDR23.

Also, the coding for the CDR23 and Amplifier must be correct. This too is set with the PST2 Tester. On the Tester, you need to select Control Units, next select PCM2/CDR23, next select CDR23, then select Coding, check to see that the coding for Type, Variant and Left/Right-Hand Drive are correct. Next select Amplifier, select Coding, and again be sure that the Type, Variant and Left/Right-Hand Drive match the vehicle code. You select [F8] to change the selection. Finally, you must disconnect the battery. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #6

Get the same problem rarely, I've had it about 3 times in 7 months of ownership in an 04' 986S. I figured I shouldnt bother but if it becomes more common I will bother.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 AM   #7

hi new to forum so i dont know if this has been sorted....
Are the problems as follows.....
No sound althought unit seems to be on?

The beep once you try to lock the car? (which is trying to tell you there is a problem)

Are you able to get to the back of the unit?

Do you have one of these car electrical testers?
princewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #8

Correct.

The unit is on. All functions work. Can load/unload a CD. Change stations. Presets are fine. Station and song title works. Just no sound.

The car makes no beeps when I set the locks with the FOB.

I can get to the back of the radio by removing it. I simply haven't had time yet.

I do not have any Porsche testing equipment. I di have a digital multifunction volt meter.

Any Ideas?