Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2018, 06:41 AM   #1

Creating a Danger 1 Replica from a base Boxster

Wanted to show everyone the lifelong dream I’ve been working on. When I was a teenager, J. Scott Campbell came out with Danger Girl, a franchise that’s still going strong today. The art is hypersexualized, but it’s still women being awesome and having our own adventures.

Even better, they turned the Porsche Boxster that had just debuted into a Bond-like supercar.

I’ve wanted this car since I saw the prototype in 1993. So, I bought one. There are countless Boxsters for sale, but I’ve learned from restoring cars you have to find the right one.

I waited for months and found this. Boxster S, Series 1. Only 24,000 miles. IMS done. New clutch. New ignition. Flawless interior.

The only problem is, as you can see, the interior doesn’t match. It’s dark blue. So, the adventure began to swap it all out.

I had to get the soft blue top turned to dark grey like the comic, and get the seats reupholstered. I had to drive a Ronald McDonald car for a few weeks, with blue interior and red seats, but it was worth it.

I spent months waiting for the right car to go to get disassembled for parts, and ended up sourcing the interior from two different cars. The color Boxster Red did not match the color of the Danger 1, so I mixed dye from Carerra Red and Boxster Red and dyed it to match.

The center console was extremely damaged, so I had to sand and repaint.

In the end, I had this giant pile of Boxster parts.

Now, it was off to get that installed. The air conditioner had failed so I paid $2000 to get a brand new OEM module installed while they were there.

Now, here we are - everything together!

The next step is replicating the Danger 1 controls.

This is the fun part. We will have nitrous, seats that shake and make SFX when you push event, and even a machine that will put out billows of red smoke. I’ll have a lot more to say as we move along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RidgeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #2

I can dig it. I like that color on a silver Boxster. You went thru a lot of work on the interior and perhaps its me but the seat covers look a little loose.

Not familiar with the comic so where do the buttons go? Center console?
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #3

Cool project!

You'll need this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NGWOEUQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A247WA9BK0NJJD&psc=1
Old 08-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #4

Creating a Danger 1 Replica from a base Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
I can dig it. I like that color on a silver Boxster. You went thru a lot of work on the interior and perhaps its me but the seat covers look a little loose.

Not familiar with the comic so where do the buttons go? Center console?

Good eye. The seat covers are by Autoberry, and I am not impressed by the quality at all. They have a fit guarantee, and I am in the process of getting that refunded.

It’s not terrible, but it’s not acceptable. TBH, not sure what I’m going to do. Might revisit once everything else is done.

As far as the location, it’s implied in the comic that it’s on the front center console with the radio.

However, what I’m learning is exact detail is impossible, because things change from shot to shot. Colors of one part change in the next panel. Looking at this, the button panel is much larger than her hand.

That is to say, I’m taking a few liberties. This will be in the center compartment hole where the cigarette tray goes.

Last edited by RidgeRacer; 08-13-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #5

So THIS is what Johnny Danger was on about! It all makes a lot more sense now.

BTW, this thread needs more pictures of that menacing Techart beauty hiding in the back.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
So THIS is what Johnny Danger was on about! It all makes a lot more sense now.

BTW, this thread needs more pictures of that menacing Techart beauty hiding in the back.

It is an absolute beauty! Techart is AMAZING. For this car, though - I’m staying stock since it’s the reference material.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:09 AM   #7

Awesome project!

Speaking of comics: There's a comic con in a couple weekends near me in Allentown. There's going to be a showing of 'The Hidden' on Saturday evening with a Q&A with the director. The organizer was looking for a correct 928 to attend:

"...the 928 is not a joy riding car; it's a tool, a road weapon designed to destroy distance and crush time."
Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #8

The whole Johnny Danger thing just clicked for me, too.
Are you in/around Dedham?
Old 08-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #9

Now I'm intrigued. What issue of Danger Girl do they create this car in?
2005 Ford F-150 Monster Truck
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
So THIS is what Johnny Danger was on about! It all makes a lot more sense
I'll admit that I'm not familiar with this comic, but do you suppose that's where our johnnydanger took the name from, or was it more of just the "generic" naming?

BTW, I still miss his twisted humor. I've often wondered if he was truely fluent in Russian, or even how the idea to post quips in Russian came about. Still, I'm glad that he was the one in possession of the microfilm.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
Now I'm intrigued. What issue of Danger Girl do they create this car in?

The original issue #1 from 1998. Still, the greatest art in a comic of all time.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford View Post
Awesome project!

Speaking of comics: There's a comic con in a couple weekends near me in Allentown. There's going to be a showing of 'The Hidden' on Saturday evening with a Q&A with the director. The organizer was looking for a correct 928 to attend:

Absolutely beautiful. I’ve never driven a 928, but strongly want to.