Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2018, 04:15 AM   #21

Garage
Ok a lot of people have weighed in on this subject, many different thoughts (always are when it comes to IMSB - TIME BOMB, end of the world as we know it )
'brahgold' - Are you out there. What is your thinking here?
Are we all just having a discussion with our selves?
How do you feel about oil?

Old 08-15-2018, 04:42 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRacer View Post
Possibly unpopular opinion: I would imagine that a Boxster that has not been driven recently is at a far higher risk for immediate IMS failure than one that gets driven.

Lubrication is huge preventative measure against IMS. When a car has been a garage queen, that lubrication is going to be less effective, at least at first.

Also, the metal is going to be at a higher risk to heat damage affecting it upon expansion.

I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker, but I think it’s a reasonable concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have a 2003 S that has been parked for 6 months every year and still has the original bearing so I don't think that is an issue.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:43 AM   #23

What are you looking for? What is your budget? I looked at the Vegas C/L and there were some nice Boxsters available. Easier to get a PPI if you're home, too. In the "gamblers paradise" there should be some nice ones at the various used car dealerships, too.

Look, any used car is a crap shoot. Even the ones you pay "real money" for. But the 3-400 miles from Phoenix to Vegas isn't that much. If you don't trust it to get you home, you shouldn't buy it. The actual incidence of ims bearing failure is pretty low. Unless the engine s making funny noises or obviously leaking oil out the back of the engine, you will probably be okay.

If you have doubts, don't buy. If you do buy, drive it like a Camry on the way home.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAZ View Post
I’d either ship it or do the IMS near where you’re purchasing it. It won’t be an enjoyable drive if you’re worried about it.
And he can stay at your house while he's waiting?:troll:
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3230 View Post
I have a 2003 S that has been parked for 6 months every year and still has the original bearing so I don't think that is an issue.
Until it is.
ScottAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
And he can stay at your house while he's waiting?:troll:
Or just not head out until it's ready. And I think hotels are a thing.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAZ View Post
Until it is.
Until it is what an issue! You must be very paranoid. When I bought that car I drove it 400 miles home and never had any history of it and it's still running strong.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3230 View Post
Until it is what an issue! You must be very paranoid. When I bought that car I drove it 400 miles home and never had any history of it and it's still running strong.
So what's the point to your story? Just because yours hasn't failed doesn't mean anything to anyone else. It's not an issue until it is. That's a fact. Stating that I've made it x miles without a failure means nothing.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #29

Garage
Thank you all for the feedback, I realized I was exaggerating the possibility of a failure. If I get one out of state, I'll probably end up driving it home. In any case, I'm planning on doing the IMS myself when I get it back.
brahgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:00 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahgold View Post
Thank you all for the feedback, I realized I was exaggerating the possibility of a failure. If I get one out of state, I'll probably end up driving it home. In any case, I'm planning on doing the IMS myself when I get it back.
There you go. That's how you have to look at theses or any other used car. They have their flaws and it is so easy to fall under the 'Sky is falling' spell.
I certainly can claim no immunity to it. I'll turn down my stereo while driving the hwy on and off to hear if my motor is chewing itself up - Not that there is anything I could do