Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
Will there be cake?

Garage
Floor Mat Problems

The fastening plate for the floor mats won't stay in the carpet (part #98655198500)
This means my car mat doesn't stay in place. The dealership tells me that the fastening plate screws into a holder under the carpet, but after lifting the carpet, I cannot find anything to screw it into. The other plate doesn't screw into anything and appears to just hold in the carpet
Am I missing something?

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
The fastening plate for the floor mats won't stay in the carpet (part #98655198500)
This means my car mat doesn't stay in place. The dealership tells me that the fastening plate screws into a holder under the carpet, but after lifting the carpet, I cannot find anything to screw it into. The other plates doesn't screw into anything and appears to just hold in the carpet
Am I missing something?

Since your floor mats has a Velcro area on the bottom of the floor mats. Maybe measure from the side of the floor mats to the Velcro area and line that measurement up under the carpet. Maybe that will help locate the spot you are to use. I don't have the fastening plates you mention. I installed custom floor matts.

My New Floor Mats
Old 07-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #3

The fastening plate has a screw molded into the backside which screws into the carpet.

I'm sure you can find them cheaper but here's where you can buy replacements as it sounds like the screw has broken off yours.:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-porsche-parts/floor-mat-fastening-plate-priced-each/98655198500/

BMWs of recent era also use them and they are approximately the same size so they can be interchanged and/or found on fleabay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BMW-GENUINE-OEM-FLOOR-MAT-HOLDER-VELCRO-LOCK-18F10-FREE-SHIPPING/132697065839?epid=5020510932&hash=item1ee55c896f%3Ag%3ANzAAAOSwjzJbJ5rn&_sacat=0&_nkw=bmw+velcro+mat+tab&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Good luck
Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
The fastening plate has a screw molded into the backside which screws into the carpet.

I'm sure you can find them cheaper but here's where you can buy replacements as it sounds like the screw has broken off yours.:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-porsche-parts/floor-mat-fastening-plate-priced-each/98655198500/

BMWs of recent era also use them and they are approximately the same size so they can be interchanged and/or found on fleabay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BMW-GENUINE-OEM-FLOOR-MAT-HOLDER-VELCRO-LOCK-18F10-FREE-SHIPPING/132697065839?epid=5020510932&hash=item1ee55c896f%3Ag%3ANzAAAOSwjzJbJ5rn&_sacat=0&_nkw=bmw+velcro+mat+tab&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Good luck
OK, the screw isn't broken off, also, I have a new one. The screw is there, the hole in the carpet doesn't hold the plate...think like a stripped out screw hole in wood or something. If there isn't something that this plate screws into besides the carpet (the hole is worn out and doesn't hold the fastening plate) then I have to figure something out.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
OK, the screw isn't broken off, also, I have a new one. The screw is there, the hole in the carpet doesn't hold the plate...think like a stripped out screw hole in wood or something. If there isn't something that this plate screws into besides the carpet (the hole is worn out and doesn't hold the fastening plate) then I have to figure something out.
This^^^
Mine is the same. Thought about ditching the carpet...
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Easy fix...

Move 'plate' to a different location. Then get some new adhesive backed 'loop' velcro and w/ a few extra dabs of super glue, place a patch large enough to back of mat in corresponding location. I had to do similar w/ the Lloyds mats in my 997 (their clips, which hook onto the seat frame rails, did not fit/work).

Good luck
Old 07-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #7

Thanks, first time in recent memory that I didn’t have to pull the carpet back into its place after getting in 👍🏻

WillH is offline   Reply With Quote