Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Past_VNE
Fast Car Girl ;)

Hello all!

Quick intro:
I am an all-around car enthusiast who found a special love for German cars after visiting Germany last year. Let's just say I came home with a wonderful after taste. I am a corporate pilot who is just now getting back in the air after economy-related lay-offs. In the past, I've driven a 76 280Z, 91 SHO+, 94 Corvette LT1 6 spd and still have my first car, an 88 Thunderbird 302 5.0L, now a highly modified mini-monster. She is wonderful and my baby, but lacks a certain refinement. Despite what you all may think of her, she's not leaving my stable.

I am about to buy my first Boxster. I have found a marvelous 01 S with 5,000 miles. Also, it's certified and is $9000 under the Edmunds price for the appropriate options. Is Edmunds usually accurate for this car?

My first big question is this: My husband found the Boxster's seats (non-sport) to be too narrow for him (6'3", 195lbs, avg, solid build.) The kidney bolsters were a little over-exuberant and hurt him after a 30 minute drive. So, before buying a Boxster, we need to resolve this issue. (We had a similar problem with our Vette.)

Our thoughts:
1. The new 911 seats fit him marvelously. Can they be fitted to a 986?
2. Recaro or other company?
3. Have reputable interior shop shave bolsters and re-stitch seats to accomodate him better.
4. Do the sport seats have adjustable bolsters and can they be fitted to a non-sport seat car?

Any thoughts on these options and ANY other suggestions are greatly appreciated as this is a stopping point for us in the buying process and we really want to make it work.

Also, in case you care....I want to participate in SCCA.

If you've read this far, thanks!!!

Jaclyn

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...60_11_full.jpg
Past_VNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:14 AM   #2
Watch Freak

Jaclyn,

Welcome! I am 6'1" 220lbs. and I fit fine in my Boxster S seats. You can always get the wider sport seats or even the GT3 seats. Both will fit fine in the car.

Welcome aboard and congrats on a fine car choice!

Where are you located?
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:58 PM   #3

Past _VNE, welcome to our forum! It's always nice to find women who are into the car scene. You have made a fine decsion by wanting to get a Box S. I have a 03 Box S and I just get so much joy out of it. I know what you mean about the seats being "snug." I am a fairly thin guy at 6'0 and 175lbs and they they fit me just right. If I were any wider I think they would become uncomfortable(hoperfully that won't happen ) Anywho, I think the 996 seats should fit in the 986 because the "sport seats" are actually a option for the boxster. Really, they are not much different than the regular seats except they have extra bolstering by the shoulder area(but if your husband finds them more comfortable then he should get them I spose). Maybe they are a tad wider, but I'm not aware of this.

Well, I hope we can help you out if anymore questions crop up. Sorry I wasn't a huge help. Someone else here like Tool Pants would surely know the answer to your question

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote