Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

Question Should I get Boxster or Not...

Last year I paid off 99' boxster payment(15K) for my brother, and now he is going out of country soon. He gave me some options if I wanna take money back(15K) or the car (52k FL miles).
Currently, I drive 94 miata n love it. Since it's old and cheap(?). I don't worry about drinving in the snow and bump ( u know drinving in chicago -_-) nor parking in garage (no garage condo). If I am not gonna take boxster I might stay with miata forever(lol). But boxster is very charming car (except high maintenace cost). He's going out of country 2 month later and he want me to give him answer. Ahhh... what shall i do...?

boxster1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:21 PM   #2

You only live once. Take the car.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:39 AM   #3

Take the car, and if you don't want it, I'm sure that someone from this board will take it off of your hands
Old 02-03-2004, 06:53 PM   #4
Forum Contributor

Btw, anyone can recommend some good porsche machanics in IL area?
Old 02-04-2004, 02:11 AM   #5

I'd take the car, ditch the Miata. Different animal. You will dig it.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 03:04 AM   #6

Take the car, and keep the Miata as your cold weather car.
bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #7
Forum Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to Frankster
well, it's very easy,
i'm sure you have been driving the car yet. either you have been fully fascinated by that car and sitting back in the miata felt like a complete different world. then I would go for it, otherwise I won't.

the boxster is a very emotional thing - if you don't have the feeling, you won't be happy with it on the long term

Br,
Frank
Frankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:27 PM   #8
Forum Contributor

yeah.. i never had chance to ride that...lol...
emotional thing... hum... interesting point
my brother said.. if i want he can ship out march 14th...
which is around 1 month from now.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:43 PM   #9

Frankster, I like the way you described it but for a sec I almost thought you were talkin about a girl there.....lol
Old 02-06-2004, 03:17 AM   #10

I like the way he described it too. My 986 has been an emotional thing, alot like a girl, but doesnt talk back as much. If you cant tell the difference between a Miata and a 986 then you should probably stay in the Miata.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:04 AM   #11

very true.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:52 PM   #12

Whaddya mean "high maintenance cost"? I'm fixin to buy my first Boxster in a couple months, and I'm reading around on this great forum. Lots of owners are writing about "no problems" so I figure all they have is regular maintenance. If you ask me, I wouldn't care if regular preventative maintenance cost a few hundred bucks at a time, since you shouldn't have to do it so often. But its the unexpected stuff that kills ya.
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:09 AM   #13

RE: "high maintenance cost"

Well, it does cost more to maintain than a Hyundai I suppose, but it comes with the territory in Boxsterland.

You just have to accept the fact that servicing the car is going to cost more, that is a given. But, quite frankly I haven't found the costs to be that outrageous. If you are buying one of these cars you hopefully are in a good enough financial position to where a few hundred more for this kind of thing isn't going to kill you. If it is, then you obviously shouldn't be driving one.

If your Boxster is still under warranty, the higher cost of whatever repairs it needs is not going to be an issue. If your Boxster is past the warranty period and you have a really big repair, such as an engine replacement, well be prepared to pay quite a bit of money for that. But, like I said if you own one of these cars you can probably afford the repairs out of warranty too. I wouldn't want to pay for an engine replacement, no one wants to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a major thing like that. But, if it ever should come down to that, I can handle it and you should be able to handle it as well. Again, if you can't, then you probably shouldn't own this kind of car.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:28 AM   #14
porsche986

"high maintenance cost"

No chance, the boxster does not have high maintenance costs, yer its alot higher than most cars but its to be expected. You cant compare your mita costs with a boxster and say boxster is high so deem it high maintenance costs.

I have just about 0 problems with mine, yer you get the service and some unexpcted thing but hey that comes with the deal.
I live in the Uk and trying to convert to US curency is sevice$650 new tyres $1350 new brake pads and 2 front discs $650.

they are not high at all. Now this is high, ferrari 360 spider.

Now i am getting a 996 soon and if i sold my boxster and didnt get a 986 i could sqeeze enough for a y reg 360. Now its an amazing machine but the price of repairs is high. heres some pics below

a service is $3200 new tyres $1900 new pads and 2 front discs $3000

quite a big price gap, so maybe in a few more years it might be more of a idea, but untill then how can you beat a boxster and a 996? you cant