Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #1

Tool selection for rear wheel bearings

Has anybody successfully used the rental tools from Autozone or other FLAPS to remove their rear wheel bearings while keeping the carrier on the car? The SIR tool kit isn't practical to buy for one time use.

Or is there a cheaper kit that does the same job?

Or if anybody has the SIR kit in the Houston area I would love to pay (money/beer/etc) for rental!

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:20 AM   #2

Garage
I bought the HF kit and it worked out fine. Meir is a member on this site and he can rent you the sir tool but he is in FL so shipping might be costly. The HF tool was about $100.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
Has anybody successfully used the rental tools from Autozone or other FLAPS to remove their rear wheel bearings while keeping the carrier on the car? The SIR tool kit isn't practical to buy for one time use.

Or is there a cheaper kit that does the same job?

Or if anybody has the SIR kit in the Houston area I would love to pay (money/beer/etc) for rental!
I also have the SIR tool, but it is in Raleigh/Durham NC.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #4

It looks like the OTC Grappler + HF press kit is a good option for around $200:

Wheel bearing replacement

With the benefit that you don't have to remove the rear brake shoes, which is required (at least on 2000S which is what I have) when doing the rear wheel bearings using the SIR tool (so the horseshoe can press flush)

You probably couldn't get the OTC Grappler from an auto parts rental but some of them might have the press kit?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #5

Did it with HF tools

I used their large bearing separator and the bearing puller kit. One thing you will need is longer lug bolts, go to MrMetric and buy some of the longest ones you can find...proceed slowly and evenly when using the lug holes for pulling the race I buggered one of my threads and had to re-chase it.

addendum...I just checked and found that Mr Metric has closed it doors permanently , I hate this....they were a great source for hard to find fasteners

Last edited by Pdwight; 07-13-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
It looks like the OTC Grappler + HF press kit is a good option for around $200:

Wheel bearing replacement

With the benefit that you don't have to remove the rear brake shoes, which is required (at least on 2000S which is what I have) when doing the rear wheel bearings using the SIR tool (so the horseshoe can press flush)

You probably couldn't get the OTC Grappler from an auto parts rental but some of them might have the press kit?
I went this route recently. With the Grappler you don't have to remove the emergency brake, which saves a lot of hassle.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #7

What did you use to.pull the inner race off the hub? That was the hardest part for me, I could do the fronts but my mechanic had to do.the backs.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
What did you use to.pull the inner race off the hub? That was the hardest part for me, I could do the fronts but my mechanic had to do.the backs.
Agreed, had to take it down to my friend at my independent Porsche repair to press it off.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #9

Breaking down the hub

Both of my rear bearings came apart diring the pull process.The outer part of the bearing stayed in the car and the inner was on the hub. I purchased one of the Harbor Freight presses and it came off easily....only time I have ever used the press.....but it was a good addition to the shop

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote