Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

Mobil 1 engine warranty

I ran across an 08 Boxster yesterday. It was more than I wanted to spend but the dealership offered a Mobile One engine warranty. Basically if I changed the oil with Mobile 1, Exxon would cover the repair of an oil related engine failure. The language in the Exxon warranty worries me that they wouldn't determine the issue with the engine to be oil related but seemed interesting. Does anyone have experience with the Mobile 1 oil warranty?

gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
MWS

This sounds more like a dealership sales technique rather than any type of real "warranty" on the purchase. I looked at the Mobil site and it states (excerpt only) "ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of the lubricant..." To me, this sounds as if a failure were to occur, it would only be covered if it was directly related to a defect in the oil....and how often would such a defect be directly responsible for any failure, and how could that be proven? Also (another excerpt), "Allow an ExxonMobil representative to examine the equipment and maintenance records, if available, and provide proof of purchase to determine the extent of the damage and to confirm that the lubricant was the cause". To me, this carries as much weight as an air supplier stating if you use their air in your tires and you experience a tire failure, they will cover the cost...as long as the cause of the failure was a defect in the air. Lol.

As always, I might be wrong....and smart money is betting against me.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:45 AM   #3

This "warranty" has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. Like their 20K mile product, it is a marketing gimmick.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:28 AM   #4

I agree with MWS 's interpretation, would have to be related to a bad batch of oil for example to cover anything and you would have to produce all maint records with proof of the oil used ect.... You would never get any satisfaction.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:31 AM   #5

Mobil is an A40 Porsche approved oil. Use their 5W50 and change it every 5,000 miles, or at least yearly for low mileage cars. If driven during the winter months, change over to the 0W40 for that period, then go back to the 5W50 in the spring. Catch in on sale ($6/L) at places like Napa, and a couple times per year you can double-dip and get a $12 rebate (then it's <$4/L) for a purchase of 5 or more quarts. You won't have an "oil related failure" if you do this.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-annual-protection-oil-warranty

Here is the big swiss cheese loophole:

This limited warranty excludes: Repair or replacement of equipment due to normal wear

Thus, you would have to prove that your engine failure was due to an abnormal condition specifically related to the oil in order for Mobil to consider your claim.

Good luck with that.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-annual-protection-oil-warranty

Here is the big swiss cheese loophole:

This limited warranty excludes: Repair or replacement of equipment due to normal wear

Thus, you would have to prove that your engine failure was due to an abnormal condition specifically related to the oil in order for Mobil to consider your claim.

Good luck with that.
What Stone said... good luck with that. With that, nothing wrong with M1. If you buy the car, what the heck, why not?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #8

Garage
Snake oil salesman