Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #1

Would you or Wouldn't you....

I saw an ad on CL in the SF Bay Area for a 2000 Boxster S (Lapis Blue, Blue Top, Tan interior). The IMS and clutch had been replaced at 110K, the car had 114K on it. Top and plastic window appeared to be in good shape, body was nice, interior was nice (at least in the pics). Also, it had just passed smog. The seller had about 9 pics of the car with a pic of the LN Engineering label for the IMS bearing and a pic of the smog certificate which had the correct vehicle license plate showing. All for the princely sum of $5600.

I saw the ad 2 hours after it posted, but I think I may have been about 1 hour and 58 minutes too late on it. The ad came down about 6 hours later. I took a screen grab:

I had a bunch of red flags in my mind when I saw the price, but as I read the ad, it seemed like a legitimate ad... Even at that price, I would have wanted a PPI, so I guess I would have never actually gotten the car because I know there are some out there that would jump on it quicker than a 12 year old on a bag of halloween candy... But I will always wonder... "What if..."

Opinions, if it were your money... Would you take the risk and buy the car without a PPI or would you insist on a PPI and risk losing the purchase?

garv214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Found ours on CL. Had been listed "3 hours ago". Had the owner drive it to me ~100 miles with the assurance that if I didn't purchase it I would give him $200.

Bought it physical presence unseen 3 hours after it was listed. Drove it home 3 hours later.

Sometimes you just have to jump on the deal. I consulted with no one. Never looked at a Porsche. Always had a good eye for great cars at great deals.

I was one of the lucky and fortunate few (ignorance). So far. So good.

No PPI. Jumped on it. Had the quid.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #3

At that price, I'd go for it.
"...the 928 is not a joy riding car; it's a tool, a road weapon designed to destroy distance and crush time."
Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #4

Sorry Garv, but yes I would have jumped on it. I bought my 02 S with 192k on it and no IMS for $5900. 2 years and 20k miles and it still runs like a champ.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #5

Yeah, it was tempting, but in the ad, the seller was going to contact each potential buyer in the order he received their e-mail response. Since I didn't see the ad until it was 2 hrs old, I was probably #93 on the waiting list.

It looked to be a legitimate ad, or the best fake ad I have ever read on CL...

The seller deleted the ad sometime between 10p and 3a, so it was only active for a few hours... It didn't come down because someone had "flagged" it...

My search continues....
Old 06-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rczap View Post
Sorry Garv, but yes I would have jumped on it. I bought my 02 S with 192k on it and no IMS for $5900. 2 years and 20k miles and it still runs like a champ.
Hey Rczap, the car was in San Lorenzo I believe... definitely on your side of the Bay... LOL
Old 06-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
Who's askin'?

In a heartbeat!
Add $1500 to the price, and STILL YES. (I did, actually, haha)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #8

For $5600 would be a non ppi but contingent on reviewing the documentation, and meeting seller.