Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

Help to identify part... 97 5-spd shifter linkage plastic cup/ bushing

All of sudden I lost 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse gears last night when got in the car at work... managed to roll the car back and drove home only with 3rd and 4th gears.

I found that the bottom end of the linkage arm was popped out, so no side-to-side move on the shift knob transmits to the shift rod into the transmission.

Cup (circled in the pic) is getting old and not holding the ball pivot arm tight... I may be missing some clip, but for now I used steel wire to keep the arm joint together.

I am searching for a replacement part with no luck. Looking for any lead with Porsche (or Audi?) P/N for this plastic cup/ bushing and maybe a metal clip that I may be missing. I read somewhere that the early 97 5-spd transmission uses an unique linkage arm, which is likely mine... so parts may not be easy to find

Or is there any known repair methods?

Thanks!

Attached Images

1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:51 PM   #2

I only see those on the 97 boxster. I think you'll need to upgrade to newer shift cables and linkages.I sell them for $75+shipping
Old 06-10-2018, 03:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I only see those on the 97 boxster. I think you'll need to upgrade to newer shift cables and linkages.I sell them for $75+shipping
Woody, I appreciate your input.

For an upgrade, do I need the whole linkage and cables (to interior shifter) replaced? I thought the difference from later year cars is just the 4" long arm and maybe the boomerang shaped cam lever with different fitting that the arm attaches to.

Do you happen to have the 97 arm with useable bushing for my short-term fix? Also is there a metal clip or that sort of an extra part that I may be missing?

Thanks!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Old 06-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Woody, I appreciate your input.

For an upgrade, do I need the whole linkage and cables (to interior shifter) replaced? I thought the difference from later year cars is just the 4" long arm and maybe the boomerang shaped cam lever with different fitting that the arm attaches to.

Do you happen to have the 97 arm with useable bushing for my short-term fix? Also is there a metal clip or that sort of an extra part that I may be missing?

Thanks!
I'm not sure about mismatching the cables with the linkages but every 97 cable and linkage I've come across is brittle and breaks as soon as you start fiddling with them
Old 06-12-2018, 01:56 AM   #5

I believe this is part of "Joint rod Adjustable" part number 986 424 931 05 for 1997 Boxsters.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
I believe this is part of "Joint rod Adjustable" part number 986 424 931 05 for 1997 Boxsters.
It seem that the part went no longer available in US about 2 years ago... some dealers online store show it but no response to my emails to confirm the right part.