Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2018, 03:16 AM   #1

Ethanol /Premium Gas Mix 93 oct vs 92 Premium ethanol free

Good Morning,

New member/New Boxster owner. Glad to be part of the family!

I live on a county border in Wisconsin and basically have the choice of the two blends. Should I run a 93 octane premium with Ethenol or go ethanol free but settle for 91 or 92 octane based on the gas station.

I apologize in advance if this question has been covered, but search did not turn anything up on the forum.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:12 AM   #2

Buy the highest octane you can find (93) from the busiest (fresh) national brand gas station in your area. It's as simple as that. Don't worry about ethanol. If you want to fill up with ethanol free 91 octane prior to winter hibernation (plus StaBil) that would be fine.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #3

Don't worry about ethanol IF you know that it has been regularly used in the car. If it hasn't been used regularly, the ethanol will loosen up any sludge on the bottom of your gas tank. Guess where that sludge goes? All thru your fuel system and clogs everything along the way. New cars or cars that have used ethanol regularly won't have the sludge so no worries. But older cars that haven't used ethanol will be trouble if you start using ethanol (a tank in a pinch won't kill you).

The loss of 1 octane for non-ethanol fuel will be worth the lack of headaches the above creates. Your car's computer will figure out how to map to the 92.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 06-18-2018 at 09:07 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #4

What about adding Octane Booster to the lower quality Gas?

I use Octane boost about every other tank, and try to use a Higher Octane Premium on the in between. Has to do with my location and trying to lower fuel cost and maintaining my performance.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #5

I would love to have that choice and run 91 ethanol free gas..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #6

Garage
I regularly run ethanol free 91 on my Porche and Audi and lawn equipment; they run great. I am also located at high altitude so 93 is not readily available.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Buy the highest octane you can find (93) from the busiest (fresh) national brand gas station in your area. It's as simple as that. Don't worry about ethanol. If you want to fill up with ethanol free 91 octane prior to winter hibernation (plus StaBil) that would be fine.
No it's not, gasoline has far more BTU's than ethanol & thus more power. Octane rating is a rating of resistance to ignition not power potential.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlzkaasen View Post
or go ethanol free but settle for 91 or 92 octane based on the gas station.
I am not aware of any fuel in Wisconsin or Illinois that is ethanol free and 92 octane. Unless you are taking about a marina, race track or airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
No it's not, gasoline has far more BTU's than ethanol & thus more power. Octane rating is a rating of resistance to ignition not power potential.
I made no statments about BTUs or power. So, I don't know why your making this response to my answer. What is your recommendation to tlzkaasen? And what do you dispute in my answer? Have you ever purchased fuel in Wisconsin or rural Illinois and understand the situation?
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #9
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I want all those British Thermal Units I can get
Old 06-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Racer Boy

The 92 octane ethanol-free gas will make more power than the 93 octane ethanol blend, if that is a factor for you. Probably not enough that you probably would notice any seat-of-the-pants difference, but it would probably show on the dyno.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:43 AM   #11

As a person in the gas business, here are two cents about BTUs. Ethanol contains 92,000 BTUs per gallon, regular no lead comes in at 132,000. Personally, I have run both 93 E10 and 90 REC Gas without an obvious difference in performance. As a previous poster pointed out, octane and energy are not one in the same. I do have serious misgivings about ethanol in general and storage with ethanol blended fuels in particular. Phase Separation can be a real issue in a fairly short period of time. Our suppliers claim a 90 day shelf life on blended fuels. If you do not have access to pure gas for storage, modern additives seem to be pretty effective in delaying it.

Last edited by JohnRedS; 06-19-2018 at 06:56 AM.
JohnRedS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #12
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Ethanol...

..is hydroscopic--it absorbs water.

If you have a reliable supply of pure gas, even if it is a couple octane points lower, run it.

Your knock sensor will detect the lower octane and pull ignition timing, so no damage will occur. You will only notice the torque drop, if you notice it at all, below 2,000 rpm.

Ethanol is just bad.

Run Shell pure gas if you can, or buy some pails of "T4" from VP Racing Fuel

Here:

https://vpracingfuels.com/product/t4/

I've run this in my Boxster, Ducati Monster with hi-comp pistons, RC51, and GSX1250FA. They love it.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #13
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
..is hydroscopic--it absorbs water.

If you have a reliable supply of pure gas, even if it is a couple octane points lower, run it.

Your knock sensor will detect the lower octane and pull ignition timing, so no damage will occur. You will only notice the torque drop, if you notice it at all, below 2,000 rpm.

Ethanol is just bad.

Run Shell pure gas if you can, or buy some pails of "T4" from VP Racing Fuel

Here:

https://vpracingfuels.com/product/t4/

I've run this in my Boxster, Ducati Monster with hi-comp pistons, RC51, and GSX1250FA. They love it.

I think this juice might be the same as a product called KARTANE. It had a splash of Methanol. I used it when Karting. Unusual exhaust smell!

What I am running in my PBS is Shell's 93 E Power, and the Shell Diesel which has the highest Cetane which is around 48. Adding Power Service in the diesel fuel also helps boost the power.