Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 04:53 AM   #1

Tracking down service records

I bought my car a couple of months ago. It’s in great shape and seems to have been well maintained. However, I do not have service records for the car. The car has 67k on the clock and I would like to know if the 60k service has been done before I start doing it myself. Based on the Carfax, I know where that car was registered throughout its life. Have any of you ever attempted to track down service records by calling dealerships?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ch4114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch4114 View Post
I bought my car a couple of months ago. It’s in great shape and seems to have been well maintained. However, I do not have service records for the car. The car has 67k on the clock and I would like to know if the 60k service has been done before I start doing it myself. Based on the Carfax, I know where that car was registered throughout its life. Have any of you ever attempted to track down service records by calling dealerships?

Just be aware that due to state and federal privacy laws, that information is considered the property of the previous owner(s), which cannot be handed out without their written permission. As such, most dealerships cannot be bother to take the time or expense to try and track them down, much less get their permission, and will simply say "No."
Old 06-14-2018, 05:31 AM   #3

I had a feeling that there was something that would prevent me from getting it easily.

If you were going to determine if this service was completed, where would you start? Or am I better off biting the bullet and just doing the service

Old 06-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #4

If you do it you have the piece of mind that it was actually done and a known maintenance schedule to follow.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:45 AM   #5

Yeah, I agree. For the amount of time and money that it is going to cost me to do it, I’m just going to knock it out and sleep better at night. Also, it will give me a chance to get a good look at the water pump and make sure sure it doesn’t need changed too.

Is there anything that you all would recommend doing for the 60k that isn’t part of the scheduled maintenance?

Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch4114 View Post
I had a feeling that there was something that would prevent me from getting it easily.

If you were going to determine if this service was completed, where would you start? Or am I better off biting the bullet and just doing the service

If you don't have the car's records, assume that none of the services were done and act accordingly.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
MWS

If Carfax shows the service then it should show the dealership. As stated due to privacy, they won't give much info regarding PO details, but they *should* have a history of the cars service. If it's a dealership, talk to either the service advisor or failing that, go to the service manager. Remember, these folks are wanting to keep the car (and you) under their umbrella (and profit stream). I stated *should* because dealerships purge information every so often, perhaps as little as 2 years if car has not been in.

Lastly, even if they don't have (or will provide) records, it's possible that if the PO had relationship with the service advisor, that they would remember the car just by seeing it...so it might be worth a trip there.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #8

I thought I posted this earlier but I must not, if you create an account on mycarfax.com (it's free) and register the car with the VIN you can see what presumably is the same service history you would see on a CarFax, sometimes it has quite a bit of stuff.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I thought I posted this earlier but I must not, if you create an account on mycarfax.com (it's free) and register the car with the VIN you can see what presumably is the same service history you would see on a CarFax, sometimes it has quite a bit of stuff.
Thanks - Just created an account for my 01 S. Does have lots of info.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #10

Best advise I have seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If you don't have the car's records, assume that none of the services were done and act accordingly.
I have always maintained that unless you know the person who did the IMS work.....or any other internal engine work and they are willing to stand by it.....how would you ever know....and how in the world would a PPI ever be able to really tell

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote