Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #1

2003 Boxster S... handling/steering

I just purchased a 2003 Boxster S with 69K miles on it. I am very pleased on how the car was taken care of, but an issue has developed.

1) At low speed the steering is very heavy and even at higher speeds it continues to feel much heavier than it should.

2) The car is tracking poorly in that it seems to be overly sensitive to any changes in the road surface and will dart off in directions associated with changes in the pavement such as ruts. In addition there is a feeling that there is a lack of centering in the steering and a some wobbly feedback.

I have confirmed that the car has not been in any reportable accidents and there is no evidence of any front end damage. The previous owner maintained excellent records on the car and there is no history of suspension work or replacement of parts since 2007 when tie rods were replaced.

I realize that a 15 year old car will have issues, but I would very much appreciate suggestions of key areas to look at.

Regards,

GoCougs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Have you gone over the suspension to make sure nothing is loose? When was the last time the car had an alignment?
Dmitry at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
Racer Boy

It sounds as if the car certainly needs an alignment. Where in Washington are you located? If you’re in the Seattle area, I have some good shops for you to to try.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #4

Seems kind of obvious... but, have you checked your tire pressures and age of tires? If you have checked pressures, what are they?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #5

Garage
I have an 03 S also and I think that there isn't any issue with your steering as they are very stiff and responsive. As for changes in road condition I think that it's pretty normal if it wants to follow the contours of the road, and when you hit a pothole it's kind of normal to be jumpy.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #6

Thank you for all the responses. I will double check tire pressures, and get the solid look at the suspension to see if anything is loose or their is an alignment issue.

This could also by driver induced as my daily driver is a M4 and very much a different car.
GoCougs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #7

May not be related, but check the power steering fluid. It is a PITA to do, so lots of people neglect it.

AND don't use any garden variety ps fluid. Porsches use Pentosin CHF 11s.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #8

Definitely have the tires, suspension and steering fluid and linkages checked out. I’ve owned my 03 S since new and now have 76k miles on it. The steering has never felt heavy, even after adding an underdrive pulley. And it isn’t darty at all, my alignment is on factory settings, not aggressive for the track or anything unusual.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #9

Alignment...
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post
Thank you for all the responses. I will double check tire pressures, and get the solid look at the suspension to see if anything is loose or their is an alignment issue.

This could also by driver induced as my daily driver is a M4 and very much a different car.
The Boxster is just a car, same as your M4. The steering should be pretty similar.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
May not be related, but check the power steering fluid. It is a PITA to do, so lots of people neglect it.

AND don't use any garden variety ps fluid. Porsches use Pentosin CHF 11s.
This would be the 1st thing I would check. If the level is full try replacing it, might be original fluid.