Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 05:28 AM   #1

Pedal swap out issue

The accelerator pedal in my 2000 986 Boxster S has a left right wobble and is stitchy, so I bought a second hand fly-by-wire accelerator complete with potentiometer (wherein I believed the spring was sticking) to sort the two issues. I gave them to my mechanic and had him swap them out.

But - he said when he did so the engine just revved out with the new pedal fitted and didn't respond to the throttle. He ended up swapping back to the old pedal and the car straight away went back to normal accelerator response. I'd to pay him for his (wasted) time. :ah:

Anyone know if there's a solution? The play and notchiness are spoiling my driving experience so I'd like to swap to the other pedal.

coolcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:32 AM   #2

The second pedal is probably defective.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Racer Boy

You can get rid of the notchiness by taking the assembly apart and cleaning and lubing all the pivot points. My throttle was very stiff and had a lot of "stiction", so I used some white lithium grease when I lubricated it, and it took care of the problem.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #4

defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The second pedal is probably defective.
I was hoping it was that simple. I'll try returning it to the ebay supplier.
thanks.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:13 AM   #5

I'm a poor solderer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
You can get rid of the notchiness by taking the assembly apart and cleaning and lubing all the pivot points. My throttle was very stiff and had a lot of "stiction", so I used some white lithium grease when I lubricated it, and it took care of the problem.
I've actually seen a how to guide on this on a forum, possibly this one - but the having to de and resolder evrything rather spooked me to be honest....
Old 06-01-2018, 03:35 AM   #6

Garage
The hinge is the cause of the wobble. Go to hardware store and get a 2" install with the screws supplied. Mine broke at the track easy fix.
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:57 AM   #7
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcruisin View Post
I've actually seen a how to guide on this on a forum, possibly this one - but the having to de and resolder evrything rather spooked me to be honest....
There was no soldering involved, just cleaning and lubing the mechanical parts of the pedal assembly.

Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote