Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #1

Question Headlight and Radio Issue

Hello All. Brand new member to the Porsche Boxster Club. I just got a 2001 Boxster Base. I drove it back from Delaware to Northern VA Friday night. The PO had installed a LED conversion kit. As I was driving I would notice the headlights would go out. I was thinking they might be getting hot (my wife was nice enough to point out that generally LED's are cooler and that it is not probably them getting hot). Always pays to have a smart wife. Anyways, the PO included the old H7 bulbs. I installed them on Saturday. As I was installing, I noticed that I think he put the left LED in the bottom (high beam) slot. I am going by memory, but I am pretty sure. There were no high beam bulbs in either side (and the right side high beam was missing the socket wire (already ordered a new one). I really like the way the LEDs looked and lit up the road, however I did not like them going out. When I removed them I noticed the headlight wiring was stripped in a lot of places. I am thinking the wiring may be bumping against other wiring and shorting it out temporarily. When it would go out, I would turn off the headlights and turn them back on again and they would come back in a couple of seconds. So, after I installed the halogens back in, I noticed the left side was not very bright. I have since done some reading and realized it is the parking light. However, when I turn on the parking lights, only the left parking light bulb is on (could it be that the right is burned out and that is why it is not doing the same thing). I thought I tested all the fuses, but I am going to go back and test the low beam and parking light fuses. Assuming they are good, what is the best way to test if I am getting power to the left low beam? Since the headlamp assemblies come completely apart, I can't have power running from the headlamp socket. I was thinking about making a jumper wire from the female pigtail end on the car to the male pigtail end on the assembly. Has anyone done this before and if so, do you have a diagram of which plug goes to what (i.e. this one controls the high beam, low beam, etc)? Does that sound like a good plan? I have read up on the possibility of it being the light and/or ignition switch. This seems like the easier way to do it, without just r and r'ing parts.

Next, the radio will not light up. The fuse works on the panel. I am waiting on some tools to remove the radio and check the fuse on the back. What kind of fuse is it? Is it obvious that it is a fuse and how accessible is it?

So to recap:
LEDs went out, possible it is stripped wiring?
Left low beam does not work.
Radio does not work.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 05-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Pull the headlight out and test at the connector with a multimeter or test light.
Here is the pinout...notice that this is the headlight side, so reverse left to right for the car side connector:

If you're not getting power at the connector and the fuses are good, it is likely the headlight switch. They can be revived by spraying electrical contact cleaner inside the switch (spraying down the shaft will get some inside) and turning the switch back and forth. The contact inside can get carbon build up that creates too much resistance.
If the cleaner doesn't help, you may need a new switch.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Pull the headlight out and test at the connector with a multimeter or test light.
Here is the pinout...notice that this is the headlight side, so reverse left to right for the car side connector:

If you're not getting power at the connector and the fuses are good, it is likely the headlight switch. They can be revived by spraying electrical contact cleaner inside the switch (spraying down the shaft will get some inside) and turning the switch back and forth. The contact inside can get carbon build up that creates too much resistance.
If the cleaner doesn't help, you may need a new switch.
PW, thank you for the quick response. I have read a lot of your posts on here and you seem very knowledgeable, especially with headlights. One question I had on your image, why is there a + and - low beam. Just want to make sure i understand all.

I will hopefully get a chance to check tonight. If not maybe tomorrow. I will post back and let you know what I find.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No problem.

All of the lights in the headlight share a common ground except for the low beam, which has its own ground.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster View Post
Next, the radio will not light up. The fuse works on the panel. I am waiting on some tools to remove the radio and check the fuse on the back. What kind of fuse is it? Is it obvious that it is a fuse and how accessible is it?
I believe the rear fuse is 10a, but I'll check on my other unit today (should be the same).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
I believe the rear fuse is 10a, but I'll check on my other unit today (should be the same).
Sounds great, thanks.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #7

Also, in addition to checking the aforementioned, it could also be the lack of a resistor on the LED's as I previously installed LED bulbs in my foglight spot and within a day or two noticed that they would do the usual blink on and off randomly. When I installed ta regular halogen bulb back in the spot, all was well. I really liked the light also, however I switched back to the halogen permanently. Some vehicles require I believe a resistor to run LED bulbs. I think sometime they are advertised as Error Free or no Flicker bulbs as well. Just a thought.
redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #8

I think these did have resistors on them. There was a wire from the bulb to a rectangle box to wire and connector for the plug on the headlamp. I think it was made of metal though. Maybe it was touching a bare wire and that is what caused it to short out?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster View Post
I think these did have resistors on them. There was a wire from the bulb to a rectangle box to wire and connector for the plug on the headlamp. I think it was made of metal though. Maybe it was touching a bare wire and that is what caused it to short out?
Could be. Don't forget to do something about those wires. If you can't replace them, get either liquid electric tape or, better yet, a can of plasti-dip (not a spray can, but the liquid dip for tool handles) and slather it on them for protection.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
MWS

I can't remember the Amps of the fuse on the back of the radio, but when radio is removed it is clearly visable and is a standard fuse. If the unit produces sound but no lights, it's not the fuse...more likely the internal light or something amiss on circut board.

Regarding the headlights...I assume you have a multimeter; check for voltage and/or continuity and work backwards. Hopefully (as stated) it's just the plug, but with any PO DIY stuff, who know what "may" have been done....a story that's been told too often.

Best wishes.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

Thanks for the tip on plastic dip. I will have to check that out.

For the radio, i have no lights and no sound. Hoping it is the fuse.

Thanks for all the sugfestions.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Could be. Don't forget to do something about those wires. If you can't replace them, get either liquid electric tape or, better yet, a can of plasti-dip (not a spray can, but the liquid dip for tool handles) and slather it on them for protection.
Got my left headlight working. Went to home depot and picked up plasti dip. Came back and tested the receptical on the left and had no power to the low beam. I remembered I had only tested the high beams before. Tested the left low beam and had no power on one side of the fuse. Replaced it and it is working well. I will still put the plasti dip on it. I am thinking I will go ahead and put the LEDs back in, when I get my other high beam retaining clip and move my new halogens to the brights. I should be able to light up the north sky then.

Now, I just have to wait for the radio tools and start on the next project.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #13

And now the radio works! Got my pullers in the mail. Replaced the ten amp fuse on the back of th radio and it works great! Now to get the i simple, so I have blue tooth. Thanks everyone for your help. I plan on plasti dipping the wiring tomorrow, while I wait for my bulb retainer to get in. Then I will put the LEDs back I. For low beams and put the better halogens in for high beams.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:41 AM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Nice

Tags
bulb , headlight , radio