View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
TiberiusBoxster

Question Headlight and Radio Issue

Hello All. Brand new member to the Porsche Boxster Club. I just got a 2001 Boxster Base. I drove it back from Delaware to Northern VA Friday night. The PO had installed a LED conversion kit. As I was driving I would notice the headlights would go out. I was thinking they might be getting hot (my wife was nice enough to point out that generally LED's are cooler and that it is not probably them getting hot). Always pays to have a smart wife. Anyways, the PO included the old H7 bulbs. I installed them on Saturday. As I was installing, I noticed that I think he put the left LED in the bottom (high beam) slot. I am going by memory, but I am pretty sure. There were no high beam bulbs in either side (and the right side high beam was missing the socket wire (already ordered a new one). I really like the way the LEDs looked and lit up the road, however I did not like them going out. When I removed them I noticed the headlight wiring was stripped in a lot of places. I am thinking the wiring may be bumping against other wiring and shorting it out temporarily. When it would go out, I would turn off the headlights and turn them back on again and they would come back in a couple of seconds. So, after I installed the halogens back in, I noticed the left side was not very bright. I have since done some reading and realized it is the parking light. However, when I turn on the parking lights, only the left parking light bulb is on (could it be that the right is burned out and that is why it is not doing the same thing). I thought I tested all the fuses, but I am going to go back and test the low beam and parking light fuses. Assuming they are good, what is the best way to test if I am getting power to the left low beam? Since the headlamp assemblies come completely apart, I can't have power running from the headlamp socket. I was thinking about making a jumper wire from the female pigtail end on the car to the male pigtail end on the assembly. Has anyone done this before and if so, do you have a diagram of which plug goes to what (i.e. this one controls the high beam, low beam, etc)? Does that sound like a good plan? I have read up on the possibility of it being the light and/or ignition switch. This seems like the easier way to do it, without just r and r'ing parts.

Next, the radio will not light up. The fuse works on the panel. I am waiting on some tools to remove the radio and check the fuse on the back. What kind of fuse is it? Is it obvious that it is a fuse and how accessible is it?

So to recap:
LEDs went out, possible it is stripped wiring?
Left low beam does not work.
Radio does not work.

Thanks,
Chris