Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #1

Insurance cheaper on S than Base??

Must be going crazy. Exploring two same year 987 models. One is base. The other is S. When checking the insurance rates with my broker, the S is cheaper than the base. Why would that be, generally?

pinksnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

S drivers are safer
Old 05-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #3

Likely user error by the quoter.

If you get quotes from a few different places I would assume that will be proven wrong.

Strangely what the other poster said about S driver’s safer may have some validity... if in the insurance model S’s happen to have lower incident rates then I suppose it is conceivable and they write premiums for S’s at less. Seems flawed logic, but a nice windfall for the S driver.
Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #4

Garage
It is now official, the insurance industry confirms that the 'S' is better, safer than the Base
Done
The arguments can end Base vs S

There may be some options on the 'S' your looking at that checks some boxes.
How much difference are you seeing?
My 'S' is the cheapest car to insure of my 4 cars
Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #5

My 986s costs less then my camry for same coverage by roughly $500/year and since I actually insure it for 6 months it’s 75% less over the year. Funny as the boxster is worth considerably more if written off compared to the camry
986bsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #6

I was loking at a C6 vette and quote was nearly same. A lot depends on age driving records and credit rating beleive it or not.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
It is now official, the insurance industry confirms that the 'S' is better, safer than the Base
Done
The arguments can end Base vs S

There may be some options on the 'S' your looking at that checks some boxes.
How much difference are you seeing?
My 'S' is the cheapest car to insure of my 4 cars
They're similarly spec'd . About 10k difference in sticker price according to the build sheet but that's mostly just the S part. Same year. Same mileage. No idea! The difference in annual cost is $70 which isn't much but was just weird.
pinksnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksnyper View Post
Must be going crazy. Exploring two same year 987 models. One is base. The other is S. When checking the insurance rates with my broker, the S is cheaper than the base. Why would that be, generally?

Most of it’s based on historical accident rates. More bases were likely written off by inattentive drivers that bought the car for the badge.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Most of it’s based on historical accident rates. More bases were likely written off by inattentive drivers that bought the car for the badge.
Completely speculative and offensive bullsh**.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-22-2018 at 03:19 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Completely speculative and offensive bullsh**.

I’m referring to first owners to clarify lol. Anyone buying a used Porsche is an enthusiast S or not. But if you’re forking out 50k for a sports car you might as well pay 60 for the S if you’re looking to go fast. I expect upon first purchase new buyers the base models were wrecked more frequently.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #11

Don't have any clue about the difference between insurance costs, but just to make sure there is no misunderstanding for newbie's, neither of these cars are "fast" by ANY stretch of the imagination. Porsche's own specifications list the 0-60 time's as less than 1 second between the two models. Buy a base and save some money or buy an S and spend some money, either way just enjoy the ride...they're great cars.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
Don't have any clue about the difference between insurance costs, but just to make sure there is no misunderstanding for newbie's, neither of these cars are "fast" by ANY stretch of the imagination. Porsche's own specifications list the 0-60 time's as less than 1 second between the two models. Buy a base and save some money or buy an S and spend some money, either way just enjoy the ride...they're great cars.
S is more car over a base you get better breaks and more hp. Not to start a rgument over which is a better car, but Buying a base does not translate to necassarily save money. I have not heard anyone driving an S saying they wish they had a base. Not that a base are not nice cars. I just think a newbie needs a clear understanding of the differences. And fast is only relative to what a person is used to, these are classic cars generally, by todays hp standards they are not fast, but they are not slow either.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #13

Agreed, the base vs S discussion has been played out for far too long. For 30 hp and larger brakes you also get more weight to negate any gains. Again, on average, a base will cost less to purchase, and the specs simply are not that far apart, sorry there're just not. Talk to Porsche who built them not me. You are very correct, faster is a relative term. The only way to really quantify is via specs or timed runs like in an AX. I know, I know, a lot of variables. But even averaged over several runs S's DO NOT win these events. Look to miata's, civic si's, Ford Focus, etc. I'll get off my box now.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksnyper View Post
Having owned both, the base for ~ 13 years and the "S" for ~ 8 months now, I'm sure it's simply the difference in the braking performance. The bigger brakes in the "S" model are superior to the base model. Braking performance was one of the first things I noticed when going to the "S" model.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Having owned both, the base for ~ 13 years and the "S" for ~ 8 months now, I'm sure it's simply the difference in the braking performance. The bigger brakes in the "S" model are superior to the base model. Braking performance was one of the first things I noticed when going to the "S" model.
I am sure not much difference in the specs, but more to consider than saying to just buy a base and save your money. You get more car buying an S, S peed tranny, bigger breaks, and more HP. Also because there are less S versions they appear to be holding resale value better. Thats my point, you just can’t say save your money and buy a base, just more to consider.

I weight ratios S to base is 2855 pounds vs 2777 less than 100lb larger moto and breaks most likely difference. Gain is much better breaking and more cubic inches.

Not saying base isnt a nice car just making statements for someone looking, should point out the differences.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:57 AM   #16

If I had to guess, I'd say its because more bases were built so presumably insurance companies have more claims on bases than S's.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:56 AM   #17
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I'm all about that Base

IMHO, the best 986 is the 1999. Love them all though.