Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #21

Garage
BruceH thanks... good info!!!

samg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #22
2007 Cayman S

Painting Calipers

I did this two years ago. I think one important technique is to lightly wet sand the calipers, after they’ve dried thoroughly. Then clean them and then apply decals and clear coat. Mine came out very nice. The tough part of the project is that it takes so long, because it’s crtical to let the paint really dry before you apply clear coat and then then let that really dry too. So, that takes many days to achieve properly. After all is done, I did a nice polish. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #23

I bought a recommended brush on red around 5 yrs ago and it still looks good. But paint will not stand up to brake cleaner so I must be careful if servicing. I took the calipers off to paint them. I don't think you'll ever do a really good job with them on the car.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #24
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samg1965 View Post
How many cans were needed to get a few coats on all four calipers?
I bought two for the base coat and had plenty left over in the second can. One clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtar View Post
By the way, where in the heck do you get those Porsche logo decals? I’ve looked on eBay without success, came away thinking they must be protecting their trademark or something... plenty of Brembo and other marques. Overseas?

Thanks!
Decals: https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/store/p264/Porsche_Calipers_Vinyl_Stickers_White_%2F_Red_%2F_ Black_.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Probably a dickhead move for me to recommend colors. Your car, do what you like. I was just trying to protect you from the ridicule I get from different things I do. My intentions were good. Anyhow, make sure to clean. ��
Sorry. The "a-hole" comment wasn't aimed at you, but the guys you were referring to. I've never encountered it outside of the internet myself, but I know the type.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-14-2018 at 12:59 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Sorry. The "a-hole" comment wasn't aimed at you, but the guys you were referring to. I've never encountered it outside of the internet myself, but I know the type.

Yeah, I can confirm this behaviour on the Internet. Apparently, according to some S owners, they have monopoly on red calipers. If your base model has red calipers, you are per definition 'a poser'.

PS. I still run red calipers on my base. I like the look.
Nevergrowup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:45 AM   #26
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Not a purist. Not a poser.

Painted mine black. Stock. Base.

I believe that while you can advance a custom look, with a Porsche you should stay better than half-way true to form. It's not a ricer car... so there must be more coloring inside the lines than outside. jmho
Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #27

Very much appreciate the link! Ordered.
Andrew.
Boxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #28
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
with a Porsche you should stay better than half-way true to form. It's not a ricer car... so there must be more coloring inside the lines than outside. jmho
Ricer car? Yikes...
It's your car and your opinion

Regardless, it is still just a car...and only about a $5k-$10k car.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-14-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #29

Garage
One done... three to go... I went with an "anodized blue". I'm having a heck of a time uploading photos and wanted to show the progression, but.... it's a translucent blue intended to be painted over a chrome or metal finish for an anodized look. Since my calipers aren't chrome, I put down a gold flake under the blue. In total 3 coats of each primer, gold, blue, clear. It's a little darker blue than I anticipated, but I kinda like it. I was tempted to leave it as the gold flake, but no. I'll add more pictures once I figure this out.

Lessons learned for the next three....
1) Apply thinner coats. A little sloppy and ran a bit.
2) Allow to cure more before reassembling the wheel. I rubbed a little paint off and afraid it will start to peel on me.
3)Borrow my neighbor's lift stands to do two wheels at a time. I do have two jacks, but wasn't comfortable with the safety of having two up on jacks.
4)Those 10 minute intervals between coats is an opportunity to clean your wheels inside and out while waiting!!!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtBvftZcv14Y90OiUR4F7cQJMMoO
Old 05-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #30
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samg1965 View Post
One done... three to go... I went with an "anodized blue"
Looks great!

Here you go

Old 05-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #31

Garage
Particle what am I doing wrong? Is there a way to simply attach a photo? It's prompting me for a URL link and I ain't no good with them computer things.... I have progressive pictures with the wheel off and the gold flake, etc
Old 05-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #32
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It looks like you're uploading from your phone. If you tap this link, it will allow you to upload straight from your phone.
With my phone, it will only allow one photo per post, though.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #33

Garage
Caliper Gold Flake

Three coats of primer, then three coats gold flake....

Old 05-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #34

Garage
Caliper Anodized Blue

Three coats primer... three gold flake... two anodized blue... three clear....

Old 05-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #35

Garage
Front vs. Rear Lesson Learned

Can you tell the difference in shades between the two calipers? The "anodized blue" paint is a translucent color intended to be painted over a chrome finish for a metallic effect. Since my calipers aren't chromed, I painted over a gold flake instead. The first picture was my first try with the front caliper. I applied too many coats of blue which didn't produce that anodized effect with gold flake gleaming through. The second picture is the rear caliper where I only applied two coats of blue with better results. I read somewhere that applying these colors and clear is like drinking beer.... you've applied the right amount, but will be tempted for one more coat. Just like beer, that one more will be too many!!!!

Old 05-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #36

Garage
With no prior painting experience, I did mine with a Porsche decal I found on ebay or amazon. I left the caliper connected and I was replacing my discs at the same time, so I didn't have to mask those off.

I took my time and sanded and cleaned them well. Taped off the lines and such. Several coats of red, then a couple coats of clear coat. (Both VHT bought on one of those websites). I don't remember if I put the decal on before the clear coat. I think I did.

Anyway, from a distance, they look amazing. When you get up close, not terrible, but not perfect either. I'm OK with it being my first time painting anything.

Once I figure out how to make a .png into a .jpg, I can post some pics.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #37

Garage

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
With no prior painting experience, I did mine with a Porsche decal I found on ebay or amazon. I left the caliper connected and I was replacing my discs at the same time, so I didn't have to mask those off.

I took my time and sanded and cleaned them well. Taped off the lines and such. Several coats of red, then a couple coats of clear coat. (Both VHT bought on one of those websites). I don't remember if I put the decal on before the clear coat. I think I did.

Anyway, from a distance, they look amazing. When you get up close, not terrible, but not perfect either. I'm OK with it being my first time painting anything.

That looks good and I intend to add the decals as well.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post

How long did you allow yours to cure before driving it???
Old 05-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Not a purist. Not a poser.

Painted mine black. Stock. Base.

I believe that while you can advance a custom look, with a Porsche you should stay better than half-way true to form. It's not a ricer car... so there must be more coloring inside the lines than outside. jmho
LOL Ricer car!!! Although I went relatively conservative with the calipers, I've never been accused of being a purist!!! If I had the means, my Boxster would look like Janis Joplin's Porsche 356!!!