Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #1

Coolant tank leaking - Please help

HELP!

My coolant tank on my 986S was leaking. I bought the parts and have had a go at replacing.

I have had to give up as i cant reach the spring clips on the pipes in the engine bay.

Can this job be done without going under the car? What am i doing wrong as I just cant get to the clips?

I followed Pedro's garage (thanks Pedro!) but am really stuck. The car cant be moved now as there is no coolant and i have removed the oil filler pipe too.

Any help appreciated. Its warm for once in the UK and i am missing out!!!!

Rav 986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #2

You need the proper tool. https://www.amazon.com/4525-Cable-Type-Flexible-Clamp-Pliers/dp/B000F5JM0O

Btw, you can cut those short hoses, replace them with common hose from an auto parts dealer.

The hose clamps are called spring clamps and can all be accessed from the top. When you put the new tank in, figure out where to position the clamps so that they're easier to access.

Wayne Dempsey did a nice write up with pictures. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/33-WATER-Coolant_Tank/33-WATER-Coolant_Tank.htm
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #3

Read this:

How hard can coolant tank replacement be?
Old 05-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
You need the proper tool. https://www.amazon.com/4525-Cable-Type-Flexible-Clamp-Pliers/dp/B000F5JM0O

Btw, you can cut those short hoses, replace them with common hose from an auto parts dealer.

The hose clamps are called spring clamps and can all be accessed from the top. When you put the new tank in, figure out where to position the clamps so that they're easier to access.

Wayne Dempsey did a nice write up with pictures. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/33-WATER-Coolant_Tank/33-WATER-Coolant_Tank.htm
I used the same tool and was able to do this from the top, it can be tricky to get the end just right on the clamp but it is possible.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:32 AM   #5

Thanks for your help.

After a lot of effort and many weeks off the road, i managed to replace this tank without lifting the car.
I also replaced the oil filler pipe as this was split.

The tank was best and cheapest from the OPC - Circa £250.

The cable operated spring clamp pliers were a must have together with some decent hand pliers.

I have pictures.....

Old tank

My engine

Any idea what this is for?

Offending tank

Splits at bottom

New tank in

Final install

I drove the car to work this morning, focused on the temperature gauge which didnt go much above 80 degrees.

It seems to have done the trick.
Thanks all.

Rav 986S is offline   Reply With Quote