Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 07:02 AM   #1

Pic of H&R Springs installed

After debating back and forth on going with the ROW M030 option or H&R Springs or a combination, I finally just went with the H&R Springs. Here is a picture with the springs installed. My car is a base 2001, wheels are 18 x 8 on front with no spacers and 18 x 10 on the rear with 21mm spacers.

So far, I'm happy with the decision. I love the look, the price was right, and while the ride is firmer, its not teeth rattling firm as we have pretty good roads around here. I don't know what the long term impact on suspension components will be but for the short term, I'm pleased.

Mike

thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

That's definitely lower than the RoW M030.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #3

it looks the same as my M030 up front, but WAY lower in back. it does look nice. glad you like it.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:57 AM   #4

Ok I have to ask, how much, out the door, installed... looks great! I want to do this someday, soon.
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:22 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
Looks good!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradtan
Ok I have to ask, how much, out the door, installed... looks great! I want to do this someday, soon.
I got the Springs on ebay for around $250.00 delivered, installation of the springs was $358.00, and a 4 wheel alignment (necessary after installation of the springs) was $185.00.

Take care,

Mike
Old 04-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #7

Looks really good Mike, any concern on clearance with bumps, potholes?

Off topic but can you explain the wheel spacers? I've read people using them but not up to speed as to why you want/need them. I am considering your same wheels.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986

Off topic but can you explain the wheel spacers? I've read people using them but not up to speed as to why you want/need them. I am considering your same wheels.
I don't think bumps like speedbumps will have too much of a negative impact because you know they are coming and you will go slower over them. It will make me more alert to watch out for that stuff. The thing that's causing me the most concern right now is pulling into the same parking spaces I've always used and in the pre-H&R spring days, my front bumper would go up over the sidewalks or curbing in front, now it will hit so I have to park a little bit further back then I'm used to.

The wheel spacers can be both used aesthetically and necessary depending on the wheel you run. Aesthetically, they will push your wheels further out from the car and I think that looks better as it gives the appearance of filling up the wheel wells better. By necessary, my aftermarket Carrera lightweights have a different offset than stock Boxster wheels, so in order to get them pushed out far enough that the wheel doesn't hit a strut or anything else, I had to use spacers. 18 mm spacers would have done the trick, but I opted for the 21 mm to give it a wider appearance.

Take care,

Mike
Old 04-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #9

Navarro-

Looks good sitting still, but I'd also be concerned about transitions over driveways/pulling into gas stations, etc about scraping.

I'd be interested to see how you feel the handling has changed. I've always been a little disappointed about the understeer that Porsche engineered into the car. I didn't buy a mid-engined car to handle like a Honda Civic.

I think I'd go for the ROW M030 so you get the Stuttgart engineering and the extra suspension bits.

Let us know if it is more neutral or more oversteer at the limit now.

Jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #10

Thanks Mike! I guess no safety or durability issues with the spacers? Do you have any rubbing issues at full turn?

I had not thought about curbs and such when parking. As beat up as my bumper is I wondered if the previous owner had lowered mine
Old 04-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson95
Navarro-

Looks good sitting still, but I'd also be concerned about transitions over driveways/pulling into gas stations, etc about scraping.

I'd be interested to see how you feel the handling has changed. I've always been a little disappointed about the understeer that Porsche engineered into the car. I didn't buy a mid-engined car to handle like a Honda Civic.

I think I'd go for the ROW M030 so you get the Stuttgart engineering and the extra suspension bits.

Let us know if it is more neutral or more oversteer at the limit now.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I have not yet had the opportunity to take it to the track to test it at its limits. Just driving around the highway and streets, the steering seems to be more responsive, IE, it doesn't seem like you have to work as hard to turn in the curves, and it feels more stable and planted around the curves. I'm not an engineer, so I just state what if feels in the seat of my pants, much more important than a data sheet anyway. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I'll get a chance to take her out to Motorsport Ranch and see if I can feel a difference there. The Boxster was always a great handling car to begin with.

I know what you mean about the ROW M030, but I decided I wanted my car lower than it offered. However, I did call sunset to order the ROW M030 as I was going to use the H&R Springs and combine it with the other suspension components of the ROW M030, and they did not have any of them in stock so I just decided that was the sign to just do the springs and to save a little money (at least in the short term) for other mods such as painting my hardtop Seal Grey instead of Black Metallic.

I'll let you know how it handles once I get out to Motorsport Ranch. Take care,

Mike
Old 04-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
Thanks Mike! I guess no safety or durability issues with the spacers? Do you have any rubbing issues at full turn?

I had not thought about curbs and such when parking. As beat up as my bumper is I wondered if the previous owner had lowered mine
SC986,

Porsche has a tech bulletin on spacers I believe which contains recommended spacer size for model years, but I do not have the tech bulletin. Maybe someone will post if for you, or if you become a contributing member of renntech.org then you will have access to it.

The wheel spacers do require longer lug bolts. Under regular street driving so far, I have not experienced any rubbing issues at full turn. I haven't yet had the opportunity to take it back to the track to see if I have any issues there under a full load.

Take care,

Mike
Old 04-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #13

Garage
I just installed a set of these with Bilstein HD shocks/struts and I am getting a bounce like sway bars not doing their job. I added 26mm front and 19.8 rear with tarret adjustable drop links.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
I just installed a set of these with Bilstein HD shocks/struts and I am getting a bounce like sway bars not doing their job. I added 26mm front and 19.8 rear with tarret adjustable drop links.
I believe the problem is you have the wrong combination of springs and struts. You need the Bilstein sport struts for the shorter springs you installed. The HDs will be constantly bouncing off the bump stops due to the reduced spring travel.

Last edited by 911monty; 04-12-2018 at 07:54 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986 View Post
I've been running the H&R springs with stock shocks on my 2001 S for about 20-25K miles over the past 4-5 years. During that time, I have had zero issues with handling, clearance or potholes. I love the way the car looks and drives. At some point, I will need to replace the shocks and I was thinking about the Blistein Sports.
m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:03 AM   #16

Garage
@911Monty, So I either replace the struts with Bilstein Sports and keep the existing springs or keep struts and change springs? I am leaning towards the springs, cheaper alternative! What kind of springs would you recommend? Should I just use the stock springs with the HD shocks? Are there aftermarket springs that would work with these shocks? Can you recommend?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:04 AM   #17

Normal springs primarily define the ride height.

Progressive springs have the tendency to be more responsive on short bumps.

Shocks dampen the unsprung mass. They have a pressure and a rebound stage. They don't influence the ride height in general.

Torsion bars transfer force from one wheel to another. So if you drive a left corner, the right wheel will press the left wheel down via the torsion bar. Same with bumps and acceleration and so on.

So if the right height is right, the problem is the shocks or the torsion bars.

Because everything has to be adjusted to each other i would combine things. So if you want to go with H&R (which is pretty firm on bad roads) than go full H&R. Springs, shocks, torsion bars, and important the right torsion bar rubber elements for the torsion bar diameter.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
@911Monty, So I either replace the struts with Bilstein Sports and keep the existing springs or keep struts and change springs? I am leaning towards the springs, cheaper alternative! What kind of springs would you recommend? Should I just use the stock springs with the HD shocks? Are there aftermarket springs that would work with these shocks? Can you recommend?
Hi Mike, If you're going to keep the HD shocks then run your stock springs. You might want to look at your option code sheet to see if you have the M030 option. If you want to keep the H&R springs then you would want to go to the Sport shocks. They have a damping profile and piston length designed for shorter springs. Check your HDs out closely when you remove them as the valving can be damaged from bottoming out. Good Luck
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #19

So with the m030 option what is a reccommended replacment shock?
Old 04-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #20

Garage
@911Monty, @Smallblock454 THANKS! Been at this all winter long! Going with the stock springs! I haven't driven it very far so don't think there was any bottoming out. Besides the roads I did drive on were smooth. @Smallblock454, You know its not a small block right? LOL!!