986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Midnight Blue Side Vents (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7205-midnight-blue-side-vents.html)

1JB 08-27-2006 03:00 PM

Midnight Blue Side Vents

Before and after photos of my '06 S with painted side vents. I think it looks 100% better. My hat is off to Bumper Plugs and Eric Sklut. The wait was worth it. No way could I get the original vents off so the local dealer did it for me. I don't think the picture really does it justice. Quality of workmanship is outstanding.

bmussatti 08-27-2006 03:36 PM

1JB, they look great! Don't you think it adds about 3.5-4.5 HP too? :)

1JB 08-27-2006 04:06 PM

Oh, yea. The dyno run shows 3.5 more bhp. When I use the wheel wax it's another 2 bhp. I put my baseball cards between the spokes and the roar is out of this world!

AUDIOGUY 08-27-2006 04:24 PM

I like it! Definately a cleaner look. Out of curiousity, what did they charge you for painting the parts... I run a collision center in NJ and am considering selling some painted parts for a few different vehicles. I could probably have painted them in house for about 50 to 60 bucks my cost including technician labor and paint materials.

z12358 08-27-2006 06:30 PM

1JB, you car looks excellent! I'm sincerely happy that you are satisfied with the new look so pls don't take this as anything else but a mere opinion. Of course, this is a matter of personal taste, but I prefer the look of the vents in their original silver finish. The contrast, especially against the darker colors, points out the location of the engine in the middle ("This is where the goods are!"). They look like they are parts of the engine protruding out, and their color matches the wheel's finish nicely. Again. just IMHO.

fab 08-28-2006 02:40 AM

IJB,

Looks great hope you are happy. That's all what really matters.
But if it was me. I would of kept the original. I like the way the original looks on the car. I have to agree with z12358, I like the contrast break up, my .02

bmussatti 08-28-2006 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
I like it! Definately a cleaner look. Out of curiousity, what did they charge you for painting the parts... I run a collision center in NJ and am considering selling some painted parts for a few different vehicles. I could probably have painted them in house for about 50 to 60 bucks my cost including technician labor and paint materials.

Audioguy, they charge $275 with a core exchange. The vents require a lot of hand sanding and several coats of paint and clear coat.

todd1ada 08-28-2006 12:01 PM

IMO a huge improvement. Those cheap plastic vents stick out like a sore thumb.

70Sixter 08-28-2006 12:05 PM

Yup, it's a winner. When I saw my first 05 Box I bet my salesman that the 06 would come from the factory with painted-to-match side vents. Good thing not much money was bet.

SD987 08-28-2006 03:22 PM

I'm not knocking your mod, but I'm going to vote for the original look.

Those cheap plastic vents stick out like a sore thumb.

Well those cheap plastic vents are still cheap plastic (although I disagree with that characterization), and in fact just became $275 more expensive.

Sometimes I miss the beauty of the freshly washed Midnight Blue. Your car looks great !

Steves 10-26-2006 02:51 AM

Hi,

I've just picked up my first Boxster (2004, 12k miles, Atlas Grey with natural brown leather) from Germany. I've noticed that the fitting of the two side vents seems different.

Now I know (via another thread on this excellent board) that the driver's side and the passenger side vents have different functions, but should the visual appearance of the fitting be different ?

For information, the vent on the passenger (LHS) is more flush to the body panel than that on the driver's side (I'll attach some pics tomorrow).

Regards
Steve

Steves 10-26-2006 02:54 AM

...... merde, I meant to say passenger (RHS) !!!

z12358 10-26-2006 03:19 AM

"...... merde, I meant to say passenger (RHS) !!!"

Steves, you have the ability to edit your own posts. Just click on the Edit button under each post.

Congrats on the new Box. I haven't noticed that the vents look different on mine.

bmussatti 10-26-2006 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steves
Hi,

I've just picked up my first Boxster (2004, 12k miles, Atlas Grey with natural brown leather) from Germany. I've noticed that the fitting of the two side vents seems different.

Now I know (via another thread on this excellent board) that the driver's side and the passenger side vents have different functions, but should the visual appearance of the fitting be different ?

For information, the vent on the passenger (LHS) is more flush to the body panel than that on the driver's side (I'll attach some pics tomorrow).

Regards
Steve

My guess is that the previous owner may have de-snorkled the car, and possibly damaged the vent or did not seat the vent properly upon reinstallment. Post some pics...so we can have a look/see.