Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #1

Another ignition switch problem?

Hey everyone,

Just purchased an 02 Boxster S and loving it so far, but...

my headlights just went out the other night when I turned on my high beams. If I play with the light switch for about 30 seconds (turn lights on/off, fogs on/off etc.) it comes back on.

From what I've read here it seems like an ignition switch issue; would everyone agree?

Thanks,

-Harry

SoBeYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:29 AM   #2

I don't think so. If it were the ignition switch there would be a lot of other "unrelated" problems, not just lights. A/C, radio not working or problems getting the key in or out would be more of a iginition switch problem. Sounds to me like something's wrong with the signal stalk.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #3

Hi,

I think you got a bad relay. Could be the switch, but I'm thinking not...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #4

just curious - litronics or halogen?
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses everyone.

How much work does the stalk or relay take? I wanted to fix it myself but I'm hardly a professional mechanic. I'm also planning on getting a third-party warranty so maybe I'd pay for the bumper-to-bumper coverage if it's a huge hassle.

It's a standard halogen unit.
SoBeYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBeYet
Thanks for the responses everyone.

How much work does the stalk or relay take? I wanted to fix it myself but I'm hardly a professional mechanic. I'm also planning on getting a third-party warranty so maybe I'd pay for the bumper-to-bumper coverage if it's a huge hassle.

It's a standard halogen unit.

Hi,

Replacing the stalk is pretty straightforward, but you need to remove the airbag and steering wheel. Not at all hard or difficult, but you need a few specialized tools that many may not have.

You'll need a 24mm socket for the steering wheel hub nut and a male 30 Torx driver about 3" long in order to access the airbag bolts, also an 8mm?,7mm? socket or nutdriver to loosen the collar on the combo switch other than that, it's just plug & play. A new combo switch can be had for between $150-$225 depending upon where you source it. Should take maybe an hour for someone with less experience, 30 min. if you're handy, I've done it 4 times under 30 min. @.

The relay is about $6 and simple swap, pull out the old, push in the new. But, as I re-read my wiring diagrams and there isn't a relay on the headlamps, unusual, but there isn't, my mistake. It has a number of fuses which you can check in the fuse box. It's looking more & more like the combo switch. Good Luck!...

Happy motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #7

If it ends up being the stalk and you don't have cruise or the OBC option, you might as well wire it up. It's only about $40 more than the regular stalk and one hour of labor at the dealer to turn the options on. $151 +shipping at Sunset Porsche

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote