View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBeYet
Thanks for the responses everyone.

How much work does the stalk or relay take? I wanted to fix it myself but I'm hardly a professional mechanic. I'm also planning on getting a third-party warranty so maybe I'd pay for the bumper-to-bumper coverage if it's a huge hassle.

It's a standard halogen unit.

Hi,

Replacing the stalk is pretty straightforward, but you need to remove the airbag and steering wheel. Not at all hard or difficult, but you need a few specialized tools that many may not have.

You'll need a 24mm socket for the steering wheel hub nut and a male 30 Torx driver about 3" long in order to access the airbag bolts, also an 8mm?,7mm? socket or nutdriver to loosen the collar on the combo switch other than that, it's just plug & play. A new combo switch can be had for between $150-$225 depending upon where you source it. Should take maybe an hour for someone with less experience, 30 min. if you're handy, I've done it 4 times under 30 min. @.

The relay is about $6 and simple swap, pull out the old, push in the new. But, as I re-read my wiring diagrams and there isn't a relay on the headlamps, unusual, but there isn't, my mistake. It has a number of fuses which you can check in the fuse box. It's looking more & more like the combo switch. Good Luck!...

Happy motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote