Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #1

Transmission fluid change and 2nd gear

My 2000 Boxster S is a little difficult getting into 2ns hear at RPM. Wondering if anyone has gone with a thicker oil and seen an improvement. I noticed when it’s cold outside in the morning it shifts better which makes me think a thicker oil might solve the issue.

hahnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #2

Lots of stuff about 2nd gear syncros. Use the proper Porsche fluid... it’s not cheap, but it really is the best (nearly only) option. There is a 2nd gear detent “fix” available, but it’s mostly a bandaid, I’ve done it and so far it’s been great. Not hard to do, but kind of a pain in the arse...

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/TRANS-Installing_996_Shift_Detent_Pin/TRANS-Installing_996_Shift_Detent_Pin.htm
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:17 AM   #3

I’m using the Porsche trans fluid and I have no 2nd gear shift problems in mid 40-80F weather.

Just for info, here’s my thread on the 2nd gear detent replacement:

https://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/70667-gbox-2nd-gear-detent-install-question.html

I don’t think the detent will help the hard shift issue. I did it as PM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:21 AM   #4

Garage
The OP is reporting the opposite problem. Easy shifting when its cold, hard shifting when its warm!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnster View Post
My 2000 Boxster S is a little difficult getting into 2ns hear at RPM. Wondering if anyone has gone with a thicker oil and seen an improvement. I noticed when it’s cold outside in the morning it shifts better which makes me think a thicker oil might solve the issue.
Have you check the level of your gear oil?
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

I haven't checked the level myself as I have relied on my mechanic. But its worth asking to make sure so thanks. I should clarify. When it's cold and the fluid is less viscous the shifter moves more difficultly but it slides into 2nd without the minor grinding kind of feel. So I guess its harder and easier all at the same time :-).

John
hahnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #7

The second gear detent is more for the classic second gear "pop-out" when cold. If you are getting syncro grinding, its just a matter of time before you drop your tranny and do the syncro, or rebuild the trans completely.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote