Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
inveniam viam aut faciam

Questions for Boxster owners with PCM2 nav radio.

I just got a deal on a NIB PCM2 for '03-'04 Boxster or '03-'05 911 with MOST system (996.642.234.05 FX), and am trying to decide if I want to go through the trouble of installing it. I know that I will need the dash bracket and GPS antenna at the very least to install it. I know that the GPS probably sucks, and that it doesn't have Bluetooth, but I do like the idea having the factory setup.

This seems to be a very rare option on Boxsters, and not super common on 911s either, so I was just wondering what those who do have it thought of it.

Again, I KNOW that even cheap aftermarket nav radios are miles ahead in virtually all respects. I have an aftermarket Android radio (with Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi, etc.) in my daily driver and like it a lot. I just like keeping the Boxster all factory as silly as that sounds...

Old 04-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
MWS

Personally I agree with keeping everything original, or in your case, adding a "period correct" nav system. That being said, I wouldn't go to the trouble of installing this unit (unless you are doing purely for aesthetics) due to the fact that there have been so many improvements in navigation and GPS. If your looking to stay "factory fresh", just use your phone as it will be much more accurate and reliable, or if too small, use a tablet with a temporary mount.

Forgive me for not doing the research, but does the system you mentioned use DVDs for map content? If so, definitely a no-go. If not, and content is software based, can you still get updates, and if so, how much would that cost? I think you see what I'm getting at...a 15 year old map is (in some cases) worse than no map at all.

We (or most of us) survived automotive adventures without GPS, and did just fine...compared to some that relied only on on GPS and drove off a cliff. Lol. Besides, isn't trying to find something half the fun?
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #3

Garage
I did the conversion myself. If you are doing it for the NAV feature, forget it. Almost worthless as it's CD based (not even DVD) with no new updates available for many years.I keep it in the car because I think aesthetically it looks better. I also believe the sound is better than the CDR23, maybe I just want to believe that. If you plan to install a Dension Gateway 500 or MoBridge unit so you can play Ipod, Phone, etc. it will display more info on screen from your device than the CDR23. Hope this helps. NIB unit could not have been cheap as I still see eBay used unit anywhere from $300 to $1000. Doubt anyone is paying anywhere close to that top end especially for used.