Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #1

How much more gas does it cosume when you have your AC on and top off?

Anyone knows what the figure is on how much more gas does the Boxster cosume when you have your AC on and top off?
It gets so hot in St.louis sometimes that I just have to blast the AC but was wondering about it while seating in a traffic jam today...Merci, V

99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
bmussatti

I have consulted with Rail26, and our calculations show a MPG decrease of exactly 2.79!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:31 PM   #3

Vanessa, do you ever let that guy in the passenger seat drive your boxster unsupervised?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #4

Well that's my little brother and is only 16 years old. He is from France and there we don't get our driver's license until we're 18...So, it is a DEFINITE NO!!!!
In a few years, maybe...when I'll drive a 911
99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:35 PM   #5

I don't know what the exact figures are but I think that it would be a little more than the 2.79 but that is probably a damn good average. My personal feeling is that it is a little more but most of my milage is stop and go city driving. Interesting note-There was an episode of the Mythbusters wher they drove an SUV around the track with the windows down/air off and then again with the windows up/air on. Surprisingly the SUV got slightly better milage with the air on and the windows up. Mostly due to drag from the windows beingdown. And I always thought I was saving on gas by sweltering!

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #6

Vanessa, the 986 is a better sports car than the 911. Don't let them fool you or ever try and school ya.

Boxster is mid engine, only the best sports cars in the world have that distinction.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #7

Mythbusters

Mythbusters (discovery channel) did an episode on this. The consensus is that A/C saves gas versus open windows. BUT, they test drove Ford pickups not Boxsters. Still this may give you guidance.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:53 AM   #8

I too have read that A/C versus windows down is about equal, however, running the A/C is definitely "harder" on the engine (particularly in stop and go traffic). For this reason, I used to roll my windows down when I was stuck in traffic rather than run the A/C, however, in my old age, I find it hard to give a crap.

Even worse, I've been known to run the A/C with the top down and the windows up....and I known I'm not alone in this, among Boxster owners .

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
...I used to roll my windows down when I was stuck in traffic rather than run the A/C, however, in my old age, I find it hard to give a crap.

Even worse, I've been known to run the A/C with the top down and the windows up....and I known I'm not alone in this, among Boxster owners .
I confess to the same sin.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 AM   #10

Hi,

If you choose not to run the A/C, be sure to run it at least 3 min./mo. to recirculate the oil in the compressor to maximize it's lifespan, and those of the 'O' rings...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #11

Air con and fuel economy

I recently turned my air con off around town on my 987 and the computer is telling me its gone from 25mpg to 29mpg. so its a costly item around town. my son has a 986 and he gets 29mpg with it off.I now drive with it off in all but the most nessasary conditions.
Phill Dougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsquire
Mythbusters (discovery channel) did an episode on this. The consensus is that A/C saves gas versus open windows. BUT, they test drove Ford pickups not Boxsters. Still this may give you guidance.

I have been researching this windows down vs windows up + AC, and so far there is no rule that applies universally. I've read report findings and I've done it myself on many vehicles. My sample size is very small, evening including the reports I read, and my route has not been consistent. Generalizing I would say that sports cars have very little difference, economy cars tend to burn more with windows up + AC, and trucks and SUV's do better with windows up + AC. All of my own tests were on highway only.

I've observed many car I've owned and many that I've had access to over the years. I started this while in college and have kept notes on it ever since

I'm inclided to think that sports have excess power at highway speeds and are so aerodynamically efficient that increased drag of open windows has an equal effect to AC use, but both have little effect. Econo cars usually have "lowish" drag coefficients and low excess power at highway speeds. The increase in drag of open windows has a less detrimental effect than the AC power loss, so running the AC and maintaining highway speed burns more gas. Trucks and SUVs have excess power and really high drag coefs, so the AC power loss is almost negligable compared to the increase in drag.

Cars Tested:

Owned: 91 vette; 95 Camaro Z28; 03 Acura RSX-s; 03 Boxster S; 04 Mini Cooper; 98 Corolla

Borrowed/Rented/Dealer Loners: 03 Cooper-S, 01 Neon, 02 PT Cruiser, 05 F150, 04 Chev Trailblazer, 99 Expedition, 97 Explorer, 99 & 03 Camry

Read About: Expedition, Taurus, Camry & Tacoma

mtch is offline   Reply With Quote