Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #1

1998 Boxster

I am looking at a 1998 Boxster with 24k miles. It has a very complete car fax. It has had 3 owners, the second owner had it 17 years, and been driven about 1500 miles or so a year. I can see that the oil and filter have been changed every year, even with 1500 miles driven. It has been serviced at a either a Porsche dealer or a Foreign car independent dealer. The car appears to be in very good shape. Is this a car to consider? The dealer is asking 12k, the NADA and KBB say 10k. What should I look for?
Thanks!

hfuglaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #2

It depends on what is attracting you to the car. Is it the low miles, Is it this particular car? There are lots of well cared for 986's in the $12K price range, although they may have a few more miles.

The 98 is a great car, with dual row bearing and an interior finish that will not scratch when you look at it!

Last edited by dghii; 04-15-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #3

It will be my wife's retirement car. It is red with a gray interior, with a Porsche decal down the side. She really likes it. It is 180 miles away, and want to see what other owners think about that year model and condition before making the trip. It has the sport option.It will not her primary vehicle. It appears to be in excellent condition. I was looking at it rather than a 2000 - 2005 due to the dual row bearing that seems is more reliable. Is the low mileage a good thing? I have read that these cars need to be driven often.
hfuglaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
1998 Boxster Owner

If it was her daily driver I would say go for it considering the dual row IMS. In my humble opinion. I have a 98 Boxster and it is my daily driver so I don't worry too much about the IMS bearing. I would only be concerned how long it sat for any given time. $12K seems high. Thats what I paid 2 years ago for mine and it had 50K miles. Also I got it at a Porsche dealership so I am sure there is a small mark up but it also gave me piece of mind. They put new tires on it for me no extra charge and they didn't blink when I asked for 60K service. No extra charge for service.

On a side note...whatever the car lacks in power makes up in handling. Very fun to drive.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #5

I own a 98 (5-speed manual) with 80,000 miles. Great car and mine looks and drives as good as new. I do think that $12M from a dealer is a bit rich. I'd say $10-11M would be closer to a realistic price.....but dealers do like to make $$. I suggest that if you really want THAT car then get them to throw in something (new tires or brakes or a full service etc etc).... The best is to get them to use their labor....doesnt cost them that much but would be a good savings for you.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfuglaar View Post
I am looking at a 1998 Boxster with 24k miles. It has a very complete car fax. It has had 3 owners, the second owner had it 17 years, and been driven about 1500 miles or so a year. I can see that the oil and filter have been changed every year, even with 1500 miles driven. It has been serviced at a either a Porsche dealer or a Foreign car independent dealer. The car appears to be in very good shape. Is this a car to consider? The dealer is asking 12k, the NADA and KBB say 10k. What should I look for?
Thanks!
Saw a 1997 in the prototype AS over Red at Barrett Jackson Palm Beach yesterday go for $9,680 (plus 10% buyer premium)...

https://azure.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1997-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-217799

Use NADA & KBB as guides but don't be afraid to pay a couple $ more or less based on true condition. Off course get an inspection (1-2 hrs labor) by a Porsche knowledgable garage/mechanic to learn true condition and not be distracted by shiny metal. Inspection could be from a dealer or indy shop - then make an offer commiserate with what you learn.

Good luck
Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #7

7 years ago I sold a 2001S with brand new PS2 tires and records for $12k. A 20 year old car ages as well as wears. Plastic becomes brittle. etc.

You are buying a car 20 years old for about a quarter of its purchase price and a fifth of what it would cost to get a new one. It isn't a primary car and your wife wants it. Good for her. Since you are buying a retirement toy (I did too) I assume you can afford any low thousand dollar expenses it brings.

Are there any records of having a 30k service ever done? The 90k is the most comprehensive service spec if you want to bring it to a point where you know what the service situation is. I did my 90k at maybe 35k miles and after that mine was wonderfully reliable.

How old (sidewall of tire date) are the tires?

Pre Purchase Inspection by an expert water cooled engine Porsche mechanic is suggested especially if someone is asking top dollar. I did and it gave me a schedule of when I'd need to be doing things and what needed doing now. It was to be a second car but evolved quickly into an except when it snowed or was too cold for the tires car.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #8
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
...How old (sidewall of tire date) are the tires?
This is a good thing to check...with that few miles, I wouldn't be surprised to see tires that are more than a decade old, and even if they look brand new, I wouldn't want to drive on them...or drive much.

+1 on PPI, but even a good PPI won't catch everything...something could still happen.

You should be aware that these cars require a bit more service and are prone to having some issues/failures you might not think of if you are comparing to other cars (ie check the version of the coolant cap, etc.).

Now with all the doom and gloom out of the way, these cars are a heck of a lot of fun to drive...for me the fun has been worth the headaches and would do it again.

Finally, price (at least to me) has always been subjective. If you like the car, and it's a price you can afford, who really cares what someone else has paid? It a given you will lose money in depreciation and maintenance, and in far larger amounts than the differences in list prices. I'm not advocating writing a blank check or personally financing a vacation for the salesman, but if KBB or NADA didn't exist, would you think this is a fair price to pay for what you are getting? In the end, a sale is nothing more than a seller and buyer agreeing on a price, and that agreement means both parties are happy (or happy-ish)...if your happy, don't worry about the person that posts they bought the same car for $5000...tomorrow they might have a bill for another $5000 in service.

In any event, best wishes and happy driving!
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #9

Not sure what the 'sport' option was on a 1998. Where is the car located? I'm south of you in NW FL if you need a look/see down this way.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #10

What does she think of it? Gonna be her car afterall. She's the one it's going to have to please.

Retirement cars need to be fun, but also super reliable. She won't have fun if it needs to be towed to a shop for expensive repairs. It needs to be cross country road trip safe and reliable.

Get a PPI, get a good one. Not as a negotiating ploy but to satisfy her that the car is not going to leave her by the side of the road.

I'm gonna share a little secret about 1998 Porsches, they have a little under powered motor. Handle like a dream but take their time getting there. I say this because, as it's a "getting senior" woman's car it won't lose any enjoyment with an automatic transmission but will save strain on sore knees and sore shoulders and elbows. Mine is an 01 base, I live in a moderately big western city, with lots of stop lights that are always red, I'd rather have my Tiptronic than a 5 or 6 speed. More enjoyable.

Also, she might be happier with a Miata (you can get her an almost new one for $12k.) Or, even a Prius. My other car is a Prius, for a travelin' or city car it's beyond belief. The Prius's are all automatics, have way more power than most people think, & get great mileage.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #11

Garage
i purchased my 1999 3 years ago for $12,500 with 58k on in. the factory engine had been replaced with a Porche factory rebuild at 37k due to the original engine cratering. Since then, I've replaced the rear tires, brakes and rotors, driver's seat belt sensor, engine starter, and shifter cables. Aside from the tires, i haven't spent over $1k since i did all the repairs myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfuglaar View Post
Thanks!
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #12

no worries

Not sure what to say - for advice. I bought my 98 for about half of what you are looking at. I just went to look at it for fun, Got seduced and bought it on the spot. No inspection, no records check, nothing. just a test drive. She needed a new top which I had done. Later on I was racing her at the local track and during my inspection I needed a motor mount and a sway bar. Also done. After that, minor stuff like brakes and a battery. Over a year and a half.
Very happy with it. Not my daily driver plan but now gets 60% use.

So, what that means is if she loves it, get it. Beat the dealership out of some future labor. It's for the fun. it's not her primary car, but it might default into that. And it's cheap enough.

ray_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote