Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2018, 03:33 AM   #1

Stero upgrade update

For those with interest, I am moving to final phase of my audio upgrade.

So far I have not altered anything that can’t be reversed back to stock in a few hours.

HU is pioneer single din prs80, used a metra harness adaptor had crutchfield prewire.
$320, with pre wired harness. Has BT, CD, SD ect.....

Speakers Hertz Mille 165.3 Pro 3 way components. Ebay from Poland brand new, not using the crossovers as I am using the network mode in the HU which handles the cross over work actively.

Dash mounting used CAI adaptor ring to mount the 3” mid, tweeter was a pain but using a small drill bit i hand drilled 4 small holes to slip small wire ties to act as a strap then one around all of them then some cloth wrap tape just to dress it, and bit extra holding power.

Door bought nokia speaker boxes off ebay, cut the top lip off, the used a 6.5” speaker adaptor from a mitshabushi. First used epoxy poly resin in the end used a hot glue gun with some black sticks to hold in place. Drilled air holes in box, and fat mat.

Bolted right in but had to cut an air hole in the vapor barrier and added some fat mat around to help reduce vibrations. Behind speaker installed hush mat pads, fixed back wave issue that was causing distortion.

Currently still using stock amp for das mid and door speakers, tweers powered from HU high out.

System sound is spectacular and I havent even tuned it yet, using a built in eq curve and loudness on.

Remaining:
Alpine PDX 9 amp ebay Will power dash and door mids and a subwoofer.
Installation kit

Subbox is a 996 cabriolet footwell bose sub being modified to hold an 8” pioneer shallow mount sub.

Thoughts:
System sounds awsome, but was expensive however i can remove and reuse components if i sell the car. For a true cheap SQ system build I would use same HU
and change dash components to same. The HU swap and the dash components made the biggest single change in the sound quality, and can be accomplished very easily.

If you do 6.5” doors use a hush mat.

Few pics:

Attached Images

Old 04-15-2018, 05:19 AM   #2

Good job! When you get that amp and hopefully add a sound processor it will sound amazing. I can get pretty close to same sound with top up or down (especially with windows up). CAI also has a nice mounting plate for that amp also.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #3

With your mods do the 6.5” speakers protrude out any farther than the original door speakers? Is there any space between the door boxes and the door cards?
JavPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlvr View Post
Good job! When you get that amp and hopefully add a sound processor it will sound amazing. I can get pretty close to same sound with top up or down (especially with windows up). CAI also has a nice mounting plate for that amp also.
Thanks your comment on the back waves had me worried, but souds great. I purchased the mounting bracket from CAI also, pretty pricey I think for what it is but certainly nice clean solution.

Still working on my interface, burned out my soldiering iron so behind the curve.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavPit View Post
With your mods do the 6.5” speakers protrude out any farther than the original door speakers? Is there any space between the door boxes and the door cards?
Not sure how much actual extra room but they fit behind the factory cover, no problem.

I shaved that little lip off the top down to where the factory speaker sits flush. The adaptor was .25”. You dont want to go lower than where mine are though on the bottom of the door card just a little tight had to tug down a little to slip by.