Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

At least it wasn't the IMS bearing!

I purchased my first Porsche about 9 months ago. It's a 2001 Boxster S with about 83k miles at that time. The prior owner had owned it for about 3 years and had taken excellent care of it, installing, for example, an LN Engineering IMS bearing, performing regular fluid changes, etc. Everything was documented. Truly a well-maintained car.

About 3 weeks ago, I drove to work, and the drive was great, like most days. I pulled into a spot, turned off the ignition and -- wait, what was that sound? Sort of like a clunk as the engine came to rest. Hmmm... I'll listen for that the next time I get in.

At the end of the day, I got in the car, preparing to listen to any unusual sound while starting. Well, let's just say there were lots of sounds. It sounded like a chain dragging across a block of metal. I didn't even look at the indicator lights, I immediately turned it off. It 'ran' but I suspected it was eating itself.

I had it towed to an independent shop in town. They pulled the engine and found that a plastic cover on one of the timing chain tensioners had apparently broken off. Plastic shavings were scattered all over the pan and the chain to the right bank was loose.

This particular shop doesn't rebuild engines, so I need to look for either a short block or a long block as a replacement. Anyone have any leads?

cc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #2

Sorry to hear that, man... this is my nightmare. I would keep an eye on Craigslist - I always see dismantlers posting Boxsters there. I would also make sure to search "Boxer, Boxster, and Boxter." Apparently no one knows how to spell "Boxster."
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #3

perhaps not a rebuild? replace tensioner pads and chains and flush engine. can even be done with engine in car?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #4

Thanks, speedyspaghetti! I did a local search in my area and there was only one hit. However, up near SF there are a lot more. Yes, even members of my own family sometimes misspell Boxster! Doing a little digging in craigslist help, it's easy to do in one search: (boxer|boxter|boxster)

Last edited by cc986; 04-11-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Misspelled a misspelling of Boxster (oh, the irony!)
Old 04-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
perhaps not a rebuild? replace tensioner pads and chains and flush engine. can even be done with engine in car?
I'd love to attempt a rebuild, but I'm really constrained on time. I may keep the old engine and give it a try over a longer period of time. Not sure about doing it with the engine in the car, though... The shop indicated that they'd have to open the case in order to address the tensioners, and for that it has to be removed.

Plus, since the engine ran after the failure, I'd imagine that all the valves on the right side of the engine would be bent/broken.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #6

List of wrecking yards
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #7

Read this: Replacing Chain Guides

And this: Severe Chain Guide Debris - Oil change

If it was the plastic guides chances are nothing was damaged. Mercedes, particularly the 450SL could rattle all day long for years until the owner finally gets annoyed enough to replace the guides and chain. You can easily test the compression by hand cranking so start with that. If compression is good then really you just need a new guide and maybe tensioner. Hell of a lot cheaper than an unneeded rebuild. In short, do more testing.

If you have an OBDII reader connect it and look for the tons of error codes your car would have thrown out if the engine was self destructing. You don't need to turn the car on to read the codes / only to the Just about to start position.

Last edited by Porsche-Eh; 04-11-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #8

Thanks for the list of wrecking yards, mikefocke! I've put in a few calls and am awaiting info on any available engines. Much appreciated.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #9

Porsche-Eh, thanks for the links. I'll keep these threads in mind for the next engine.