View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
cc986

At least it wasn't the IMS bearing!

I purchased my first Porsche about 9 months ago. It's a 2001 Boxster S with about 83k miles at that time. The prior owner had owned it for about 3 years and had taken excellent care of it, installing, for example, an LN Engineering IMS bearing, performing regular fluid changes, etc. Everything was documented. Truly a well-maintained car.

About 3 weeks ago, I drove to work, and the drive was great, like most days. I pulled into a spot, turned off the ignition and -- wait, what was that sound? Sort of like a clunk as the engine came to rest. Hmmm... I'll listen for that the next time I get in.

At the end of the day, I got in the car, preparing to listen to any unusual sound while starting. Well, let's just say there were lots of sounds. It sounded like a chain dragging across a block of metal. I didn't even look at the indicator lights, I immediately turned it off. It 'ran' but I suspected it was eating itself.

I had it towed to an independent shop in town. They pulled the engine and found that a plastic cover on one of the timing chain tensioners had apparently broken off. Plastic shavings were scattered all over the pan and the chain to the right bank was loose.

This particular shop doesn't rebuild engines, so I need to look for either a short block or a long block as a replacement. Anyone have any leads?
cc986 is offline   Reply With Quote