Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #1

Garage
Weird little window problem

Hive mind, please help!

Passenger window in my 99 base goes up 3 inches and then stops. Hit the up button again when it's already up, and the window goes down. I can inch it up a bit at a time, or I can try the one touch, and it only goes up the 3 inches. Motor makes no straining sounds, just goes quiet. Same behavior with the top down, with the door open and closed. I tried the hold-for-10 seconds reset technique- nothing. (It just occurs to me that I didn't do the 10 second reset trick on the driver's side- would that have any effect?)

Back story, as it *may* be relevant: This was a California car and came with tinted windows. The tint was bugging me in the dead of winter and I peeled it off in single digit temperatures- came off great, in one piece on each side. There was a tiny bit of invisible sticky residue on each window, but wasn't a factor in the extreme cold. When it was about 20º I cleaned off the driver's window with Goo Gone and it took awhile but worked fine. I ran out of time to do the passenger's side window that day, and left it for another month. I had to use that window 3 or 4 times when it warmed up to 40º and it made a squeaky balloon noise that sounded like the rubber sill on the window, but who knows, it may have been a mechanical noise. Then the other day it stopped going all the way up. Dang, was I too lax getting around to cleaning that window? Karmic payback?

I have the radio code, and can disconnect the battery in the morning and see if that reset works. Think it will?

If it doesn't work, what is my next step? The car's brand-new, less than 20 years old, so this is weird. Thanks.

MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Clean the crud off of the window and the seal at the bottom. The resistance is probably screwing with it.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Re-tint the windows.

The car's brand-new, less than 20 years old, so this is weird. LOL. Love it!
Old 04-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks, particlewave, I cleaned off what I could- the top 2", and the sill all the way, but the rest of the window remains submerged. However, the way it stops- immediately- as if you let off the button, instead of struggling and grinding to a stop, makes me think the stickiness alone is not what the problem is- even if it is what brought about the problem.

Re-tint the windows- can't believe I didn't think of that. Will have to get the window up first though.

Disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, reconnected- no difference. Reset auto-up and down on the driver's side, and then the passenger side- no difference. Tried with roof unlatched, with interior and exterior door handle up, and nothing.

Still, with all this, I can't tell from what I've read on the other window problem threads whether I've ruled out a switch problem or not.

Any other ideas, anyone? All suggestions welcome, even if they're worth what I'm paying for them, like the window tinting idea!

MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote