Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #1

Dumping coolant after after short drive

Went for a short drive,about 20 minutes. Smelled coolant smell and temp was about 190. returned home and after 5 minutes coolant started pouring out, obviously under pressure. tank in trunk totally emptied out. I let the engine cool down and restarted, cant find a leak yet.ideas?

Stiles13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
MWS

If possible, check location of leak. For what is worth (and I'm sure I'm not the first to offer this) but check the version of coolant cap. Caps on these cars are a known issue and a failure will result in dumping your coolant...check around rear passenger tire for signs of coolant.

I know the cap seems like an odd culprit, but it happened to me, and many many others on this forum.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Sounds like an air bubble in the coolant system, it's a common issue that can make all of the coolant drain from the overflow above the passenger rear wheel. Have you topped off or messed with the coolant recently?
Old 04-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #4

Exactly the same think happened to me over the weekend, only after a 2 hour drive in 38c/100f heat. Reached our destination and as soon as I turned it off the car promptly dumped the entire expansion tank on the floor out the overflow by the rear right wheel.

I've known I had a version 1 cap on there since I've had it, but it's always been fine... until it's not, haha! Bought a new version cap yesterday, topped it up, am going to run it for a while with the bleeder valve open to free any trapped air (also sat for 10 minutes with nose down on a steep carpark ramp last night to help) and hoping that fixes it.

The caps are printed on top 996.106.447.0x ... if your 'x' is less than 4 upgrade to the newer one, they only cost about $25US from a dealer.

Last edited by oldskool73; 04-03-2018 at 11:26 PM.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:43 AM   #5

Is the trunk under the carpet wet? If it is, it's your coolant tank that cracked. I had it happen to me last summer and I got a new tank and cap.
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
Exactly the same think happened to me over the weekend, only after a 2 hour drive in 38c/100f heat. Reached our destination and as soon as I turned it off the car promptly dumped the entire expansion tank on the floor out the overflow by the rear right wheel.

I've known I had a version 1 cap on there since I've had it, but it's always been fine... until it's not, haha! Bought a new version cap yesterday, topped it up, am going to run it for a while with the bleeder valve open to free any trapped air (also sat for 10 minutes with nose down on a steep carpark ramp last night to help) and hoping that fixes it.

The caps are printed on top 996.106.447.0x ... if your 'x' is less than 4 upgrade to the newer one, they only cost about $25US from a dealer.
Went through the whole process of refilling and draining and this seemed to work after a 30 minute run. I had not opened the cap previously since I bought the car 2 months ago. New cap should arrive today! Thanks to everyone on here! In just a short time I have learned a lot about these quirky little beasts!
Old 04-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #7

I had same similar issue last year, never found a leak or reason for over flow other than the mechanic had the coolant serviced to just under the max line. My guess was the coolant was serviced in wither and maybe the giant difference in winter to summer temp here caused the excess coolant to over flow, as soon as it was a little below the max line never lost any more fluid. The other possible was the cap crossed up, from me checking the fluid.

Anyway hope your good to go!
Old 05-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #8

Garage
cap not threaded on properly or water pump is failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiles13 View Post
Went for a short drive,about 20 minutes. Smelled coolant smell and temp was about 190. returned home and after 5 minutes coolant started pouring out, obviously under pressure. tank in trunk totally emptied out. I let the engine cool down and restarted, cant find a leak yet.ideas?
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:43 AM   #9

All is well, cap failed. Replaced with newest version, 500 miles since without issue, and driven hard!