Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #1

Rims...what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Porsche-Boxster-S-OEM-Chrome-Wheels-Rims-Carrera_W0QQitemZ300019063532QQihZ020QQcategoryZ43 958QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone have an opinion about these rims?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
KronixSpeed

i'm not sure....theres something that i like and theres something that i dont like.
they are very bling, not sure that you want this look. i think that they will look really good on a black boxster. seems like a fairly good price, if you want to stay with original porsche rims, and don't want to go after market. but if you are willing to go aftermarket, then for that price there are alot of rims that you can choose from.

i dont like them on that white car....they look cheap. on a black car i think they will look really good and more expensive looking.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
KronixSpeed

you know what....go through some of the boxsters on cardomain.com.....i'm sure that i saw a boxster that had those rims, well not chrome, but the silver rims. they looked really good. they kinda made the car look a little more beefy/heavy.

i thought that they looked pretty good. i ll try and find that picture.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #4

one thing that made me think "hmmm... I dunno" about these particular rims is the backs are only 9 inches. My 17's are 9.5... I'd hate to go thinner than what I have.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:10 PM   #5

These rims are very similar to the standard rims on a 06 Boxster S except they are chrome. The 06 Boxster S are a brushed finish. Way too much shine.
airboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #6

I'm just not feeling the Bling Bling.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:21 PM   #7

Hi,

@Randall, I'm not a fan of the Chrome, but I do like the look of the wheels. OEM these wheels are not chromed and so these were subsequently done. Now there's Chrome Plating and then there's Chrome Plating.

For $2100(+ S/H, Mounting/Balancing) I'd want to know that they were Restoration Chromed, that is, a base metal is first plated to the Aluminum (often Nickel-which best bonds with it), then another base metal (usually Copper) which best bonds with both the Nickel and Chrome, then the actual Chrome Plating. But, a restoration plating job could go as high as $1500 alone leading me to believe that this was not done.

You'd be very disappointed if the plating starts peeling in a couple years. Just my $0.02... BTW, JC Penny is having a sale on Gold Neck Chains this weekend too...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #8

I seem to be in the minority here, but I like them and I think they'll look particularly nice on a black car. I think they lend an updated look to the 986. I like the brushed, silver, gray and black wheel looks, but there's nothing wrong with a little chrome.

I would check with Carlos at Wheel Dynamics to see what he can do on price before pulling the trigger though.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Not feeling the Chrome. I personally would never put chrome rims on a Boxster or any other real "Sports Car" for that matter. Other than that they are pretty sweet.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #10

Ick.

(See, Randall, I emerged from lurk mode!)
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:28 AM   #11

ok ok, I wont' consider buying them. I didn't have that much cash for rims right now anyway.

I guess I'm back to the aftermarket carrera lights that http://www.wheeldynamics.net has for sale.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:08 AM   #12

Very blingee. Yo.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:51 AM   #13
bmussatti

Randall, I think they would be a ******************** to keep clean!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:23 PM   #14
KronixSpeed

i do however like these rims far better "carrera lights". n such a good price. i was looking at those rims all winter last year. buy'em.

I guess I'm back to the aftermarket carrera lights that http://www.wheeldynamics.net has for sale.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #15

I like the design, but not the chrome. To me, it just doesn't fit. The brushed look is much better. ANd keep in mind that these are probably refinished OEM wheels. Did they buy them new and apply the chrome, or used, with the possible problems that go with used wheels, and then chrome them. Used wheels can be fine (I have a set for winter tires), but I'd be just a little skeptical about the price and the quality.

Bob
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
ok ok, I wont' consider buying them. I didn't have that much cash for rims right now anyway.

Oooh! I do love those Carrera Lights! They were high on our list of possible rims when we were looking.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote