Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #1

Cost comparison of IMSB fixes?

Approximately how much do the various options add to the cost of clutch job?

Old 03-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

I haven't personally done it - seems a bit overblown (no pun intended) based on my research and most mechanics in my area have said similar things - but I got a quote for a new clutch, flywheel, and LN ceramic bearing which didn't add any labor at all since it's pretty straightforward once you have transmission out. My quote was $3200 parts and labor for the $800 LN bearing + clutch/flywheel.
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

New bearings are cheap.

Engines are expensive.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

Parts from $150 - 1500. The cost doesn’t determine which option is necessarily better
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #5

it's difficult to do a cost-risk analysis without the costs..
Old 03-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #6

Garage
LOL. My IMS, RMS, and clutch ran about $3800. But that's suburban SF pricing.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
New bearings are cheap.

Engines are expensive.
Yeah but replacing a perfectly working original double-row bearing is waste of money and a bearing. No plan to replace mine at 82K miles, without any sign of failure: zero metal flakes in oil filter. YMMV
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #8
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Inquiring minds want to know. I wonder if anybody has ever pulled the OEM bearing out, pried the inner cover out, cleaned out the old goop and decided that the bearing is fine? Then put it back in?

I read somewhere that some version of a recommended fix is to remove the inner cover of a new bearing. That way fresh oil can regularly get into the bearing. I know it sounds like heresy and who would get that deep into a clutch X/O without a new bearing ready to go, but somebody must have tried it.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Inquiring minds want to know. I wonder if anybody has ever pulled the OEM bearing out, pried the inner cover out, cleaned out the old goop and decided that the bearing is fine? Then put it back in?

I read somewhere that some version of a recommended fix is to remove the inner cover of a new bearing. That way fresh oil can regularly get into the bearing. I know it sounds like heresy and who would get that deep into a clutch X/O without a new bearing ready to go, but somebody must have tried it.
I think the non oil fed bearings are plain bearings (various types) with no seals. Or maybe the other way around. When my clutch dies, I will do the rest. Currently no signs of an issue.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:23 AM   #10

Quote:

If you did, it would promptly fail. The extraction process overly stresses the old balls, races, and cages, which is why LN from the beginning has always said that if you try to install a bearing and get it cocked, and then have to extract it, do no use the bearing, get a new one. The extraction process is a one way trip to the trash can.......
Old 03-29-2018, 04:24 AM   #11

My thoughts are this .....

It is an expensive engine. Very much so sometimes replacements valued more than the vehicle itself.

Bearings are mechanical in nature. Although IMSB is sealed and designed for longevity all bearings fail at some point. Unfortunately for us we rely on a bearing placed in the most expensive part of the car. Wheel bearings fail prematurely in some cars while others of the same make and model have no issue.
Another common bearing failure is throw out bearings in your clutch assembly. I’ve seen few but some fail before the life of the clutch disk. Then you have to listen to the noise with the clutch engaged. Alternators aswell get noisy when the pulley bearings go.

Sadly the force applied to our imsb is so great that when it fails it’s catastrophic. Imsb as much as I hate to admit it should be a regular 100k maintenance item.
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #12

Is anyone here familiar with this type?

Roller Bearing IMS Retrofit Kit – RND Engines
Old 03-29-2018, 05:24 PM   #13

One thing that is kind of cool, LN is now offering their install parts (to include the RMS tool and seal) for a deposit/return deal. That kind of makes LN the way to go for me. Though I still think 800.00 for a bearing and cover is almost robbery. I'll do it when it's clutch time. I'm not going to stress too much before then. Just keep an eye on oil pressure and levels and do the usual inspections etc.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #14
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
That makes perfect sense. I have never been that deep into an M96 engine. I am thinking it would be a great paper weight/conversation piece on my desk though. Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If you did, it would promptly fail. The extraction process overly stresses the old balls, races, and cages, which is why LN from the beginning has always said that if you try to install a bearing and get it cocked, and then have to extract it, do no use the bearing, get a new one. The extraction process is a one way trip to the trash can.......
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:07 AM   #15

Quote:
That makes perfect sense. I have never been that deep into an M96 engine. I am thinking it would be a great paper weight/conversation piece on my desk though. Thanks for the insight.
You might be surprised at how many people choose to ignore LN's advice, only to ultimately find out why they said it in the first place.........