Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2018, 03:32 AM   #1

Stereo issues

Installed aftermarket Kenwood stereo after deciding to upgrade to Bluetooth. Before installing only the driver's dash speaker was the only speaker working. Was hoping for bad output from head unit, but that was not the issue.(still only 1 speaker working) Does anyone know if the existing amp mounted to the firewall has fuses or internal breakers? If not, what are opinions on just using the new head unit's internal amp?

Stiles13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:59 AM   #2

I run mine straight from the head unit, but I have an early year car without amp or MOST. Think people will need to know more about the year and spec of your car to help more.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
I run mine straight from the head unit, but I have an early year car without amp or MOST. Think people will need to know more about the year and spec of your car to help more.
2001 Boxter, door and dash speakers with amp. AM/FM/CD w/o navigation.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:53 AM   #4

My right front speaker was giving me issues and I found it needed to be replaced. I bought new speakers from Crutchfield and found something on the interwebs about how to cut the stock speaker (with a Dremel) to use it as a mounting bracket for the new speaker. They sound great and fixed my issue. 2001 is 16-17 years old now... the speaker is probably shot.
m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:08 AM   #5
MWS

I'd assume it's the speaker, especially if it's the original 17yo speaker. The dash speakers are the easiest ones to get out, just rather awkward to get to. Pull the problem one and bench test.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by m332is View Post
My right front speaker was giving me issues and I found it needed to be replaced. I bought new speakers from Crutchfield and found something on the interwebs about how to cut the stock speaker (with a Dremel) to use it as a mounting bracket for the new speaker. They sound great and fixed my issue. 2001 is 16-17 years old now... the speaker is probably shot.
Being shot is a distinct possibility! But it has door speakers as well, which are also not working. I will pull them all and ohm test. 3 of 4 blown would be my luck, but I would blame the amp first most likely. I was planning to replace at some point, and I buy all my gear from Crutchfield! Have used them since the late 70's. Have put stereos in all type of cars, but never a Porsche!
Old 03-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #7

There's nothing unique about the P-car's stereo system.

Given that both your door and dash speakers are dead on the same side, it sounds like you have an amp or wiring harness problem. Go to your wiring harness on the back of your new head unit and swap left and right channels to see if you get any change. You might have to cut wires or you can jumper wires from the working side to the non working. If no change, you can bypass the the harness from the radio to the amp and do the same jumper trick at the amp input.

Can also run HU speaker outputs to the (disconnnected) output connector on the amp.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #8

Good time to update to the 996 amp (buy used) and add rear speakers. World of a difference.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
There's nothing unique about the P-car's stereo system.

Given that both your door and dash speakers are dead on the same side, it sounds like you have an amp or wiring harness problem. Go to your wiring harness on the back of your new head unit and swap left and right channels to see if you get any change. You might have to cut wires or you can jumper wires from the working side to the non working. If no change, you can bypass the the harness from the radio to the amp and do the same jumper trick at the amp input.

Can also run HU speaker outputs to the (disconnnected) output connector on the amp.
The head unit outputs directly to speakers from the output harness of the amp is my probable route. I'm just wondering about pulling the wires back in from the front trunk to the cockpit. I found the wire color codes in the service manual.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #10

I take it you have a factory 4 channel amp?

Asuming all you did was replace hu and used an adptor kit you should check your wiring connections again.

For the factory amp you need to use rca out of hu, the factoryamp wont take line level input signal.

I am in the process of doing a complete ugrade, myself. I tried 5he 6 channl amp route and is ok, and easy mod but better off with complete system upgrade.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I take it you have a factory 4 channel amp?

Asuming all you did was replace hu and used an adptor kit you should check your wiring connections again.

For the factory amp you need to use rca out of hu, the factoryamp wont take line level input signal.

I am in the process of doing a complete ugrade, myself. I tried 5he 6 channl amp route and is ok, and easy mod but better off with complete system upgrade.
Yes all connection are good, and I used the RCAs. The system was only playing 1 channel out of for BEFORE the install as well as after. I hoped it was the head unit, but apparently it is the amp. I'm seeing used ones on Ebay for cheap, so I may take that route instead of dissecting the output side of the amp harness. will ohm out speakers first to eliminate the possibility of 3 blown speakers. The RCA wiring from the amp harness appears ok.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiles13 View Post
Yes all connection are good, and I used the RCAs. The system was only playing 1 channel out of for BEFORE the install as well as after. I hoped it was the head unit, but apparently it is the amp. I'm seeing used ones on Ebay for cheap, so I may take that route instead of dissecting the output side of the amp harness. will ohm out speakers first to eliminate the possibility of 3 blown speakers. The RCA wiring from the amp harness appears ok.
Yeah i bought a 2 channel amp for $20. I am taking out the plugs and fabricating a factory to aftermarket amp interface. If you go back stock get a 6 channel from a cabriolet if you dont have rear speakers you can use the fad to adjust door speakers.
The door soeakers only play bass by the way.

If you do go with a 6 channel you may need to trim a key off the amp so the plug will fit. There us a thread about that some where.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #13
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I was having weird electrical problems with my drivers door. It turned out to be the door harness from the door that plugs into the A pillar. Apparently some of them are prone to leak. I loosened mine up and a bunch of nasty, corroded water ran out. I had to clean up a couple of connections. Everything came back to life. There must be 20+/- wires that plug together in that plug/socket.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote