Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #1

1998 Boxster for sale

I am interested in knowledgeable, experienced boxster owners opinions on what I can expect to get for a 1998 boxster. The exterior is in excellent shape. The interior very good. 57K miles. It has had NO maintenance issues other than normal oil changes. It has always been garage parked. Ballpark figures are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gmboxster; 03-27-2018 at 12:28 PM.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Speaking for myself, I would go and check the actual street prices online, instead of roughly guessing a value.

garbage parked, no maintenance issues...hmmm....it could be anything between 5k - 15k depending on a lot of other factors. I guess this is a start.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
$6500-$7500.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #4

Garage
Why would you park it in the garbage? Lol
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #5

LOL, Blackcloud. Thanks I fixed it.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #6

I think nice examples are going in the $8K-$10K range based on what I'm seeing. I know of one that sold for $9K, which had low miles (under 30K) but some paint dings/scratches from normal wear and tear.

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #7

it is completely subjective and so many factors, color and maintenance history records seem to have the largest impact on prices. When i bought mine last year i looked for a long time and it appeared to me most people just go on Auto Trader/Cars.com/CL and see what the list prices are and copy those.

However, the people that are buying 986's now seem to know a lot more about the cars as great sports cars for very little money with the porsche brand name. The biggest factor on the value is maintenance to someone that really does their homework so if you have done the typical jobs it helps tremendously. From what you posted about oil changes only i bet there are a few things on your car in need of somewhat immediate attention.

I bought my 97 (silver/black) with 51k miles last year for $6,500 in CT, which tends to be a higher value market for cars. it was a good deal for me but the car even being well kept needed new tires (had some dry rot they were 10 years old), Oil leaking slightly from 2 oil tubes, and the water pump was seeping. Because i pointed these things out to the seller i was able to get a fair price on the car for condition and work that needed to be done. Don't be surprised even on your low mileage car if a prospective buyer takes the car in for PPI they find a lot that needs to be done.

Long response to say, it's hard to say without more details on the car LOL
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Without any further info, I'd say $7000 with a fairly clean PPI.

The engine should have a lot of life left in it but everything else is 20 years old and a lot of those parts are going to start to need to be replaced.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote