Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #1

Car stereo technical wiring question

After much going around, I think I know the direction I will be going with the stereo. It's a small convertible so it's never going to be sound stage proper and all that stuff. I just want it to sound as good as possible while tearing down the road with my wife with the top down.

Here's what I have on hand here. The car was originally Bose equipped. It's a 2002 Boxster S. The dash speakers and the door speakers are the original Bose speakers. The rear Bose ported enclosure is there as well. Dash and door speakers will be driven by a JL Audio 300/4v3, which is a high quality 75w X 4 channel amp. The rear subwoofer box will be modified to contain 2 - 5 1/4" 4 ohm woofers, to replace the weird impendence Bose of same size that were in there. Those two will be powered by a JL Audio 1x250 watt subwoofer amp. This will come off the subwoofer output of the head unit.. The head unit will be one of the Android head units. I am intrigued by these and am eager to see how they perform.

This all seems fairly straight forward. If the sound is not acceptable I can always swap out the speakers with no rewiring needed. The remaining question here is the two small forward facing speakers in the Bose box. I can easily replace them if it's worth it with 4 ohm aftermarket units. I can then wire it in series/parallel with the door speakers, with some sort of bass limiting devices on the to protect them. The questions are:

1- Will this wiring arrangement (series/parallel) result in a 4 ohm load as I think it will?
2- Is it even worth messing with these little speakers? I'm thinking that with the wind noise and all it may give some back fill allowing hearing he music a bit better. those of you who have driven the Boxster a lot (I have not yet), do you have trouble hearing the radio well with just dash and door speakers and a sub in the back?

Any input on the would be greatly appreciated.

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Not much help for your question, but reading your posts got me thinking...
My hearing is bad enough already and driving with the top down can really get the tinnitus ringing. Have you considered a pair of Noise canceling headsets for car audio?
As with most freedoms, avoid California, Massachusetts, and New York: https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/headsets/

Old 02-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #3

Be careful - many states (I think) have requirements that at least one ear has to be uncovered.

As far as listening to music in my Boxster, I have no trouble listening with the top up, but wind noise and such at highway speeds - I honestly prefer listening to my engine.