Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #1

Looking to do buy a 2001 Boxster S - Some questions for the experts

Hey guys - I'm looking at buying a used 2001 Boxster S with about 120k on the clock. I met the seller earlier this week and gave it a test drive. It sounded great, and rode well - a little bumpy but I believe that's typical of a Boxster (the roads weren't great). I plan to do a PPI at a local shop that is good with Porsches tomorrow, but I'm curious if anyone has any other thoughts on things to watch out, price, etc.

The person is asking $8,500. Here are the specs:

1. Comes with paint-matched hard top

2. Soft top has a 6" rip (due to vandalism) in it that has been repaired (it looks like it would be water proof).

3. Front tires have been replaced - rears don't look to have much life left.

4. Headlights are a little yellow - not surprising givin the age of the car.

5. The seller has owned the car for 2 years, and unfortunately didn't have enough garage space so it sat outside (the rip in the top was from some person who ripped it with a knife) - so the paint looks a little sun faded as do the headlights. I believe it'll look much better after a proper clean, clay, polish, etc.

6. The autocheck report looks ok - the car had 4 owners (including the seller). It's always been in California, and was sold as a "Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle" at 53,000 miles, and again at 54,224 miles (?). The CPO tag at 53k miles makes me feel good that it was treated well in it's early years - hoping the Carfax report shows the service history after that (the autocheck report shows only CA emissions tests) - specifically was hoping to know about the water pump and when it was last replaced.

7. Wheel center cap Porsche crests are missing from 2 of the wheels (he said this is the second time someone stole them).

A couple things to note:

1. I am aware of the IMS issues with these cars, but given the miles on this car - I'm guessing this one is fine? I was under the impression that IMS issues appear early, and if there is a bore alignment problem, they will come up often and repeat. With 120k miles, I'm guessing that it's fine? The mechanic who will do the PPI does plan to look at the oil filter and check for metal parts.

2. It's a tiptronic - my wife wants to drive this most of the time, and she hates stick - and we have some bad traffic around here. It seems like most Porsches are manual (and rightly so), but does that lower the sale price and/or resale value? I don't really care about resale value, but can I ask a lower price since it's auto? It doesn't seem like he's received much interest in it so far.

Also, how robust are the tiptronic transmissions? Do they break down often? I'm guessing they are expensive to fix when they do?

3. We plan to use this as a fun weekend/getaway car. Our "before kids - let's live life" car.

4. Might want to replace the top with a glass version - but I understand that that requires a full replacement of the top, frame and motors? That sounds like a PITA? What does everyone mean when they have to "karate chop" the back window? My test rive had the hard top on it, so I didn't get the privilege. New tops (with the plastic) aren't too expensive it seems $300 and can DIY?. I'm not too worried about it as it doesn't rain much in LA. To perhaps bring down my overall acquisition cost, I might sell the hard top as well since the car will sit in a garage when - I believe hard tops go for $1000-$1500?

5. Paint - again, it's a little faded and there are a number of rock chips on the front hood. I thought about getting a nice respay, then realized it would have to be the fenders, bumper and hood - and thought - well hell, might as well do the rest of the car. Has anybody done this in CA and curiuos how much it costs (gotta be less than a Coupe or Sedan)!

Any help, guidance or thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by Wangta; 02-05-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #2

I would run it for free on mycarfax.com will tell you all the service history for free.just put in the Vin.i found out so much about my Boxtser on there.
Badboybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboybox View Post
I would run it for free on mycarfax.com will tell you all the service history for free.just put in the Vin.i found out so much about my Boxtser on there.
Thanks so much - but how do you get a Carfax report for free? They are asking $39.99 for one report!
Old 02-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

Just seen your in los angeles..I am 2.i have a great Porsche mechanic in the Glendale area.the shop is called HD Motorworks on san Fernando rd in glendale.just had them do some work on my boxster .replaced the fuel pump on my 98 and they just did a coolant flush on the 2002 .the owner worked at rusnak Porsche in Pasadena for 10 years before he opened his own shop three years ago.really great guy and realky knows his stuff.look up there reviews on Yelp all 5 star.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Thanks so much - but how do you get a Carfax report for free? They are asking $39.99 for one report!
Its not carfax...its called mycarfax.com...and its free.if you want sent me the vin I will run it.but you can do it for free also
Old 02-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #6

www.mycarfax.com
Old 02-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #7

When you put in the vin its goingbto ask if you own the car just say yes.then click on service history.i found out my boxster had the water pump replaced.the clutch, coolant reservoir tank, power steering hoses, heads rebuilt.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboybox View Post
When you put in the vin its goingbto ask if you own the car just say yes.then click on service history.i found out my boxster had the water pump replaced.the clutch, coolant reservoir tank, power steering hoses, heads rebuilt.
Got it - thank you! Strange - It looks similar to Carfax.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #9

Attached are the service records which I cobbled together from Autocheck and mycarfax. Service looks good to me with pretty regular visits to the local Porsche Dealer.

Does anyone see anything that stands out? Kinda tough for me to follow as I haven't looked at these very often.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:58 PM   #10

I would call Porsche of Irvine, assuming they still exist, and see if they have record of a clutch/mainseal/IMS being done. It would appear whomever owned it over the years at least did the minimum appropriately. The downside of the car fax stuff, is you don’t know what might have been done that wasn’t reported.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
I would call Porsche of Irvine, assuming they still exist, and see if they have record of a clutch/mainseal/IMS being done. It would appear whomever owned it over the years at least did the minimum appropriately. The downside of the car fax stuff, is you don’t know what might have been done that wasn’t reported.
I thought of that - would they freely share that information if I just give them the VIN? And are clutch/IMS as big of issue on tiptronic? I was also under impression the PPI could vet the mainseal.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #12

Quote:
I thought of that - would they freely share that information if I just give them the VIN? And are clutch/IMS as big of issue on tiptronic? I was also under impression the PPI could vet the mainseal.
Possibly, if they have the info. There is no clutch on the tiptronic. It is called a torque converter and is completely different. Tip trans makes no difference with th IMS. Upside is, if you decide to do the IMS, you only do the RMS and IMS and don’t need to spend the $$$ for a clutch system. So overall, it would be a bit cheaper. If there is a leak at the trans/engine it is most likely the RMS. It could be the IMS bearing cover, but that is not usually the case.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Possibly, if they have the info. There is no clutch on the tiptronic. It is called a torque converter and is completely different. Tip trans makes no difference with th IMS. Upside is, if you decide to do the IMS, you only do the RMS and IMS and don’t need to spend the $$$ for a clutch system. So overall, it would be a bit cheaper. If there is a leak at the trans/engine it is most likely the RMS. It could be the IMS bearing cover, but that is not usually the case.
Thanks Geof. Can you check the RMS on a simple PPI? I'm wondering if the IMS is really an issue on a 120k mile car? It seems IMS pop up early if there is an issue.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #14

"Might want to replace the top with a glass version - but I understand that that requires a full replacement of the top, frame and motors? That sounds like a PITA? What does everyone mean when they have to "karate chop" the back window? My test rive had the hard top on it, so I didn't get the privilege. "

Replacing the top on a 2001 with the smaller glass rear window after market version, can be done as a straight replacement on the existing frame. Updating to the factory glass window top from the 2003-2004 models, requires the existing frame to be removed and replaced with the later 2003-2004 frame.
The Karate chop refers to the technique of helping the plastic window fold in the correct fashion when lowering the top by "chopping it with your hand". It has a tendency to kink and crumple in an irregular way at times, instead of folding straight across.
Most experienced owners will "throw in the towel" to make the window fold in a gentle curve, instead of the sharp kink without the towel. In cold climates and if the plastic window is brittle from old age, it can crack at the fold line from the sharpness of the fold. It also helps eliminate the crease the forms in the window if the top is left folded for a long period of time. You take an old towel and roll it up into a long tube. Then you place it into the folded area of the plastic window to make it to fold in a nice rounded arch, instead of a sharp kink.
There have been a few members that have replaced their tops as a DIY project. There are articles and posts on the forum and other sites on how it was done.
You can sell the hard top for about what it will cost to have the soft top replaced professionally.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 02-06-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Spinnaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:01 AM   #15

The only thing I see is a Lien was reported not that long ago in 2016.i would make sure that lien is paid off and that he has the pink slip.when I was looking for my Boxster I ran into a couple cars where the person didnt tell me the car was not paid off till I seen it on the Mycarfax then they would say oh yeah well I have to pay it off with your money then you will get the pink slip in the mail.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:29 AM   #16

I PMed you about my 2003 for sale with IMS replaced and new Tiptronic. Arctic silver really excellent body and interior.

Here is the listing on this site I am in LA too.

2003 Boxster Tip
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks Geof. Can you check the RMS on a simple PPI? I'm wondering if the IMS is really an issue on a 120k mile car? It seems IMS pop up early if there is an issue.
Yes and no, you can certainly see if there is a leak, but can’t definitively diagnose as the trans needs to be removed to access. If there are signs of a leak then it is most likely the RMS. No way to tell on the IMS either. LN has a VIN lookup that might be worth while. Regarding whether or not to be concerned, the IMS is always a thought as it is a bearing. However, 1 in 10 are going to fail. If your RMS is showing a leak it is worthwhile to do the IMS at the same time.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #18

Looking to do buy a 2001 Boxster S - Some questions for the experts

I have a 2001 Boxster S with 50k on the clock. Your car sounds like a decent price, but you could spend a little more and get a lower mile example that may have spent time in the garage and not outside. The top can be replaced for $1200 including labor, and around $400 for the parts alone. Good luck and if you buy, please post pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tomgalfano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgalfano View Post
I have a 2001 Boxster S with 50k on the clock. Your car sounds like a decent price, but you could spend a little more and get a lower mile example that may have spent time in the garage and not outside. The top can be replaced for $1200 including labor, and around $400 for the parts alone. Good luck and if you buy, please post pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AGREED. Why not look at one where all the work and then some is done already!!

2003 Boxster Tip
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #20

I think in most markets you can do better. This car has too many issues for me.

Owned 2, wonderful cars both.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote