Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2018, 07:18 AM   #1

Driver door 1/4 inch drop failure (and horn beeps when locking!)

Hi guys.
So, got my Boxster back from repair today after it spewed it's coolant all over.
Had it 3 months and it's been in the shop for 2 of them for one thing or another!

Time to tackle some annoying problems.

I've an issue that has grown worse over the 3 months.
When it works fine, I'd unlock the car with a single press to the button and the window would drop a little when I raised the handle with no beeping from the car.
Same as when I'd leave. I'd pull the handle from inside, it would lower the window, I'd get out, one press after closing the door and the car would lock - no beeps.

Occasionally, When I'd come to unlock it, it would unlock, give 2 quick beeps on the horn but when I pulled the handle, the window wouldn't drop 1/4 inch.
After locking/unlocking a couple of times, it would unlock with no beep and then the window would drop as usual.

At the minute, it's constantly beeping and not dropping the window either when I try to get out after finishing the drive and locking up or returning to the car to get in.
The window works fine in every other way.
It drops when unlocking the roof, it drops and closes on normal opening using the buttons.
I currently have to drop the window manually a little bit, get out, lock the car holding in the key button which shuts the window again!!
All a bit of a faff which hopefully can be easily fixed.
The passenger side drops the 1/4 inch every time and given the driver window works in every other way mechanically, I'm (stupidly) confident this time it might not cost the earth and I'll be able to have a go at fixing myself??
The locking/unlocking and beeping is driving me mad. Getting sick of people looking round whenever this beeping goes off.

hopefully someone can yet again come to my aid!

Mike

mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
The 2 beeps is telling you something is not matched or is wrong with the alarm system. It will be the door latch microswitch.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:11 AM   #3

Thanks EDC.
From doing a search for "microswitch" I see there are a few threads with this issue and some seem to vary from microswitch issue, regulator, cable too slack or the latch itself.

For a quick check - As the passenger side seems to work, can I swap to prove it's the switch or are they different per side?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:41 AM   #4

I've just tried the reset of the windows by holding down the main window switch till it's down. Releasing after a few seconds and holding the up (at this point the window comes up a little then back down) pressed and held the switch again till the window went all the way up, held a few seconds more before releasing - didn't solve the fault.

Another thing, when I pull the handle from the inside, I hear the click of the switch but nothing happens.

I'll wait to see if someone says I can exchange the switch from the passenger side before doing anything else.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The passenger and driver side are not interchangeable. Before replacing the door latch, check the connector in the door jamb. Pull back the rubber boot, remove one torx screw and pull the cam lock release. A search should pull up instructions with pictures.
Check both male and female sides of the connector for corrosion or other faults.

It would also be good idea to check under the seat for moisture and pull the immobilizer to check for any corrosion from moisture/water infiltration.

Once you've confirmed all is good, replace the door latch mechanism.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #6

Thanks Particlewave.
I'll scout for a guide to do things in the jamb like you said.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:32 AM   #7

Noticed another thing on this last night.
The light does not come on when opening the door anymore too
Further indication the problem is with the locking?