Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,817
Garage
Jӓgermobile2 Part Failure

Guess what the first part/component (that just failed) I will be replacing on the Jӓgermobile2? I have had this Boxster only three months, and of course this had to be the first part to fail.

Hint: I replaced five of these over the years on Jӓgermobile1

__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,276
Rear main seal, AOS or water pump?
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Dr. Acula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 65
Clutch switch?
__________________
2011 Boxster S manual
Dr. Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,104
water pump
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,817
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Rear main seal, AOS or water pump?
Three guesses??

I would hate to replace the Rear Main Seal five times... But no.

AOS... Yes

Water Pump I replaced three times on Jӓgermobile1.

Living near sea level is rough on the AOS. I wish there was a better after market AOS available, at a reasonable price. The Heavy Duty AOS Porsche makes is crazy expensive.
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,104
Ok, I'll Jinx myself...I live about 10 feet above sea level. My 2000S has 133K miles and I've not had to replace the AOS in the almost 10 years and 58K miles I've owned the car.

I better go order the part....
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: CO
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Ok, I'll Jinx myself...I live about 10 feet above sea level. My 2000S has 133K miles and I've not had to replace the AOS in the almost 10 years and 58K miles I've owned the car.

I better go order the part....

Right now...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SE USA
Posts: 213
Guess I've been lucky too. At 17 years old and 55k miles the AOS has never once given me any trouble.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Three guesses??

I would hate to replace the Rear Main Seal five times... But no.

AOS... Yes

Water Pump I replaced three times on Jӓgermobile1.

Living near sea level is rough on the AOS. I wish there was a better after market AOS available, at a reasonable price. The Heavy Duty AOS Porsche makes is crazy expensive.
Sorry for taking three guesses, but didn't the original Jӓgermobile have over 300,000 miles?
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,817
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Sorry for taking three guesses, but didn't the original Jӓgermobile have over 300,000 miles?
Yes it did... Over 304,000 miles.

What I have not seen before is the P0507 error code (idle control). The RPM's are a little high at idle (1100 RPM), understandably with vacuum leak. But no smoke on start-ups or while going down the road. Definitely an AOS failure, it sounds like, and feels like, a shop vac at the oil fill tube with the cap removed.
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,817
Garage
I received the AOS from Pelican Parts today, amazingly quick delivery. I replaced the AOS in about 1 1/2 hours... I'm getting pretty good at replacing those things.
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #12
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6
 
paulofto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,049
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
I received the AOS from Pelican Parts today, amazingly quick delivery. I replaced the AOS in about 1 1/2 hours... I'm getting pretty good at replacing those things.
Maybe you can add to your 300K and drive on up to The Great White North when my AOS needs replacing. It is fine now but I'm sure it will start to go eventually and it is not a job I'm looking forward to.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,283
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
I received the AOS from Pelican Parts today, amazingly quick delivery. I replaced the AOS in about 1 1/2 hours... I'm getting pretty good at replacing those things.
So out of curiosity I had a look at the AOS for your car. It appears the accordion hose and pinch connections have been eliminated and are now slip-on rubber hose and clamps?
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,104
1 1/2 hours...nice!

I know is the AOS is much easier to replace on an 03-04 than the earlier cars...

I did a buddy's AOS on a 2003S that I'd sold him. I certainly took me longer than 1 1/2 hours...think it was more like 2 1/2. Pretty straight forward once I could put my eyes on everything.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,817
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
So out of curiosity I had a look at the AOS for your car. It appears the accordion hose and pinch connections have been eliminated and are now slip-on rubber hose and clamps?
Nope, it has the accordion hose and spring clamps. I use a clamp tool similar to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Astro-Pneumatic-Hose-Clamp-Pliers-AST9409A/206859121?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sX7jRSXGu|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_195274179 091_pkw__pmt__product_206859121_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk6DftO-N2QIVDp1-Ch2LUweCEAQYAyABEgLYSPD_BwE
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,817
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Maybe you can add to your 300K and drive on up to The Great White North when my AOS needs replacing. It is fine now but I'm sure it will start to go eventually and it is not a job I'm looking forward to.

Do you plan on replacing it yourself? If so send me a personal message with your phone number when you are ready to do it and I can provide some guidance and advise.
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #17
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6
 
paulofto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,049
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Do you plan on replacing it yourself? If so send me a personal message with your phone number when you are ready to do it and I can provide some guidance and advise.
The AOS is fine for now but I will keep you in mind when the time comes. Thanks.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page