Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2018, 06:14 AM   #21

Garage
Porche has hybrid platforms and its only a matter of time they make their way to the Boxster/Cayman models

Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
First, Porsche sells their soul in order to market Cayenne's, Macan's, and Panamera's to the masses.

Next, Porsche swaps a turbo four in place of the beloved flat-six that defines a Porsche sports car.

Then, they rebrand the Boxster with a "718" moniker that no one understands.

Now, they're worried about low sales volume?
As long as they have an EBIT margin of 17,4% i don't think they have to worry in any way.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #23

The last time I was in a Porsche dealership was last summer. Normally salesmen at car dealerships won't let you park before they're swarming. There was no one there that wanted to talk to me about the cars. Finally the receptionist wandered over and when I asked a question she had no idea and wandered off to find someone that knew anything. We left 15 minutes later without any answers. It was weird.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
The last time I was in a Porsche dealership was last summer. Normally salesmen at car dealerships won't let you park before they're swarming. There was no one there that wanted to talk to me about the cars. Finally the receptionist wandered over and when I asked a question she had no idea and wandered off to find someone that knew anything. We left 15 minutes later without any answers. It was weird.
I get the same attention. There are a lot of people with big money out there and I guess they don't think that I am one of them. They are probably right I would however love a 997.1 GT3 one day.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #25

There are two big markets. China has already said that there is little future in ICE driven cars. In the US, cars are not a lust after item for younger workers facing uncertain income/career futures.

So where is the market?.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #26

There is no doubt, in terms of new cars anyway, the ICE's day is coming to an end. The only reason the US hasn't really started to clamp down, particularly on the diesel side of the game, is our private and personal hauling requirements. Even with that, the end is near, probably not in my lifetime, but it WILL happen. Then it's Mad Max time...

I do believe there will always be some level of submarket for sports cars, but not at the high dollar most are going for these days. But then, look at the air-cooled market. It's just STUPID!

I was watching Meekam this morning. The $$ figures some of the muscle cars were going for was crazy. The Vette's average was 140-150k. Crazy numbers. Cool thing is, I will get my dads '65 one day! Point is, there are people willing to spend SERIOUS money for these old cars.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Last week I was trying to get a price for a new 718 Cayman (base). I wanted one built to my specs. The salesman said he would call me back. That was 4 days ago. I guess Porsche doesn't need my money.

billh1963 is offline   Reply With Quote