Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #1

Garage
Mystery hose

While in the midst of my IMS/clutch/AOS project I noticed a small hose under the crossovers that does not appear to be connected to anything. The car ran great before starting my work and I have not worked in the area of the hose so my thought is that this is some type of small drain hose for condensate (?). The photo was taken from the rear of the engine and the end of the hose is circled. Any thoughts?

dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

A/C condenser maybe.
Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hard to see where you're at in the picture, but it looks like the power steering reservoir overflow.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #4

Garage
Yeah, it's tough to capture on a photo. The hose is located under the forward intake crossover on the left side of the engine.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Based on location and without a better picture, I'd say that is indeed your power steering reservoir overflow hose.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Based on location and without a better picture, I'd say that is indeed your power steering reservoir overflow hose.
Yep, which can dump prodigious amounts of PS fluid all over the top of your engine and fill up all the little nooks and crannies up there (there are several☹️) not fun to clean up. Not usually a huge issue unless your PS pump is giving it up, or you hit the track. Very common for these to puke PS fluid.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:04 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Yep, which can dump prodigious amounts of PS fluid all over the top of your engine and fill up all the little nooks and crannies up there (there are several☹️) not fun to clean up. Not usually a huge issue unless your PS pump is giving it up, or you hit the track. Very common for these to puke PS fluid.
Why is no one suggesting to add some length to that hose and run it to near the ground?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:49 AM   #8
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Why is no one suggesting to add some length to that hose and run it to near the ground?
To dump it on the road in front of the rear tire? Neither safe nor entirely environmentally friendly.
Lengthened hose to a catch can, maybe.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:09 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
To dump it on the road in front of the rear tire? Neither safe nor entirely environmentally friendly.
Lengthened hose to a catch can, maybe.
It's just hanging there now. Do you think if it is overfilled, or other associated malady, it isn't going to wind up on the ground anyhow?

Catch can? Are you suggesting appropriating a canister to catch the overflow/fill and, what, zip tie it somewhere on the chassis... driving around with a can hanging from under your car?

Would the fluid only exit that hose if it was overfilled? Or, might there be a reason why the fluid would just start flowing from the hose absent an overfill?

Thank you.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #10

What year is your car? I'm in the midst of a complicated engine change on my 2001 base.* Neither of my PS pumps have an overflow hose, never heard of such a thing.
The only overflow hose I've seen on my car is the coolant reservoir overflow--which exits behind the right rear tire.

Before you started your work, did you notice any puddles?

*I'm putting an engine set up for manual transmission into a tiptronic car--requires switching wiring harness.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #11

Garage
Brian, the car is a 2000 S (3.2L). No, I didn't notice any puddles. I just noticed the hose dangling under the crossovers and wondered what it was. I had not worked in that area so I knew I didn't inadvertently knock the hose off a connection.

Last edited by dlud; 01-16-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlud View Post
Brian, the car is a 2000 S (3.2L). No, I didn't notice any puddles. I just noticed the hose dangling under the crossovers and wondered what it was. I had not worked in that area so I knew I didn't inadvertently knock the hose off a connection.
Have you considered just following the hose from the bottom up... or to wherever it leads? That might solve the mystery.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #13

Garage
Yes, I thought about following the hose up. However, it is buried under the crossovers so it would mean pulling parts off....something I want to avoid as I have other fish to fry. I may change my mind once I finish my clutch/IMS/AOS project if I get a CEL. I now see that the parts catalog shows a "breather hose" for the power steering pump. I'm now thinking that this is the answer.
https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterparts.com/images/parts/porsche/fullsize/020040303.jpg
Old 01-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #14

Garage
I did think about following the hose but it would be a pita. Looking at the parts catalog for the power steering pump I now see that it shows a breather hose. I'm thinking this is most likely what I'm seeing. See #2 on the diagram:

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterparts.com/images/parts/porsche/fullsize/020040303.jpg
Old 01-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #15
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlud View Post
I did think about following the hose but it would be a pita. Looking at the parts catalog for the power steering pump I now see that it shows a breather hose. I'm thinking this is most likely what I'm seeing. See #2 on the diagram:

Gotcha. I, too, out of curiosity tried to follow some hoses... cables... and lines then stopping when I thought about how just 1 brittle hose could put a dent in the day.

Breather hose makes sense. Maybe an expert can chime in and explain how PS fluid contracts and/or expands under temperature... and it needs somewhere to vent.

Or, did I just do that?

In any event... if Porsche designed that line to just dump the fluid wherever... then my wherever I'm going to give some consideration.

Cheers!