Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #1

OBC display disappears

After a lot of searching, I haven't seen anybody with the same issue.

Issue ('03 Boxster S):
OBC display disappears / appears / blinking (on/off) and after a while the display is totally black (off). The whole issue is random. Sometimes everything seems to be normal. It is really frustrating.

I think it is such a power issue, but where should I start with troubleshooting?
-Connectors behind the instrument cluster?
-Fuses / relays? (which one?)
-Or other options?

Thanks in advance

Sander

Last edited by Sander; 01-14-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #2

Obc

Many times the large connector on the rear or back of the instrument cluster is not fully plugged in......it might appear but is not. Also the tried old method of disconnecting each connector and reinserting them fully is a very good idea.When you say your OBC display disappeared , do you mean the entire display is not showing or just that the OBC is not working....more information is always better.

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #3

Hello Dwight. Thanks for your reply. The obc still works on the background but the information is not showed on the display. Background Light is also still working. When the information is gone and my seatbelt is not fasten, i can see a red backlight silhouette. When I confirm that with the lever, the background Light turns orange. Not always the screen is empty, sometimes i see a flatline
Old 01-15-2018, 04:14 AM   #4

Dwight might be right about the connection. The three cluster harness connections from 2001-04 get very brittle with age. 2003 and 04 seem to be worse and the grey connection seems to be the worse of the three connectors. I had one car come in where someone had replaced all three connectors with new replacement connectors. I'm not sure where to find them, but they're out there.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #5
Beginner

Garage
I replaced all 3 of mine with the new replacement versions. Mine were the constancy of dried play dough, they crumbled when I removed them. I did get some additional original connectors over Ebay with a dashboard I bought, and they too were like dried play dough.

I re-pinned the connectors one wire at a time. Lots of wires so one at a time is mandatory.

Pelican Parts (this site host) does not seem to carry these connectors - I'd give them a shout first then check other suppliers if Pelican does not have them.

I can verify that the OBC disappearing can be caused by lack of connection behind the instrument cluster.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #6

Thank you all! I will look at the connectors. Maybe I can see the partnumbers. To be continued.