Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
Put in the updated spring and piston .Put a mechanical gauge on it today 10 psi when motor is hot with 5w-40 oil. What would be the thickest oil I could run .Live in the south west.
Sounds a little low to me but isn't the pressure switch set at 7 psi?
If it were me, I would try a heavier oil, Mobil 1 5W50 or 15W50. 5W50 is Porsche approved in our cars. You'll most likely get a couple (2-3 psi) more at hot idle. How about the oil filter? What is your setup? Stock or aftermarket?

Walmart has Mobil 1 15W50 on special for $27 for 5 quarts.

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 02-06-2018 at 03:56 PM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #22

Garage
I have no idea what the sending unit is set at . Its one for a 996 has the warning light and pressure gauge. The electric gauge is not connected yet . For an air cleaner I'm using a cold air kit, Borla exhaust.Thank you all, you guys have been a great help . I have had the car for a little over a year so I think my biggest problem is I probably used oil that is to light from the start . I had no idea what was used in the car. Started with 0w-40...then 5w-40....Now was thinking 15w-50......What would you all think about a 60 weight oil ..?
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #23

Quote:
I have no idea what the sending unit is set at . Its one for a 996 has the warning light and pressure gauge. The electric gauge is not connected yet . For an air cleaner I'm using a cold air kit, Borla exhaust.Thank you all, you guys have been a great help . I have had the car for a little over a year so I think my biggest problem is I probably used oil that is to light from the start . I had no idea what was used in the car. Started with 0w-40...then 5w-40....Now was thinking 15w-50......What would you all think about a 60 weight oil ..?
I think that if you need anything more than a quality 5W-40, something is wrong with your engine.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I think that if you need anything more than a quality 5W-40, something is wrong with your engine.
JFP, are you refering to exesive bearing clearance or a worn oil pump?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #25

It could be either. What is lacking here is proper "hands on" system diagnostics. If the OP has not done the oil pump piston and spring update, which was introduced specifically to address this issue, he needs to do so. If that doesn't raise the oil pressure, he needs to pull the oil pump cassette and examine the gears for pitting or excessive wear. If there is nothing wrong in the pump, the engine has become "loose", and is leaking the oil pressure internally, which requires a rebuild/replacement. But the ONLY way to know what is going on is to start looking........
Old 02-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #26

Quote:
If the OP has not done the oil pump piston and spring update, which was introduced specifically to address this issue, he needs to do so.
I am sorry for hijacking this tread, but does the piston and spring update applies to the 3.4 987 as well..? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I am sorry for hijacking this tread, but does the piston and spring update applies to the 3.4 987 as well..? Thanks!
You would have to check that with a good part department; at some point, the retrofit parts became the parts in the car from the factory, but that would require checking the VIN number to be sure.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #28

Quote:
You would have to check that with a good part department; at some point, the retrofit parts became the parts in the car from the factory, but that would require checking the VIN number to be sure.
Thank you JFP!

I will ask Luke at Sunset
Old 02-08-2018, 04:27 AM   #29

Garage
JFP Can the oil pump be removed with the motor in the car ? I did do the oil pump bypass with updated spring and plunger .Thanks for your help sir..!
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #30

Quote:
JFP Can the oil pump be removed with the motor in the car ? I did do the oil pump bypass with updated spring and plunger .Thanks for your help sir..!
Yes, and as the cassette shares the metal gasket with the water pump, it is a good time to replace the water pump and the oil pump drive shaft which is an investment cast piece of crap that is known to snap. LN has a chrome moly replacement for about $20.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:48 PM   #31
ISSIMI

About to replace the valve/spring on mine. After installing is it recommended to "prime" the engine before starting to build oil pressure? Or is it ok to start immediately after install?
Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:37 PM   #32

Gents,

Is there torque value reference anywhere for the oil pump pressure relief spring and piston retaining plug.....it much like a drain plug with a crush ring.

I am just changing the 986 stocker to the updated spring (996) and piston (997)...yes late to the party.

I can post an image if the item the part(s) I am referring to are not clear.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:40 PM   #33

Garage
Yep the bolt/cap should be torqued to 18ft/lbs (or 25Nm)
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:58 AM   #34

okay thanks very much....I found a Rennlist post with a value much higher....probably mapped from the stock oil pan drain which is 37 FTBS - 50 Nm. I have not had the stock pan and plug for many years and this seems high to me.

Where the heck is this documented..

Last edited by jaykay; 06-19-2022 at 07:10 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:35 AM   #35

Garage
When I installed my oil pressure gauge I did some research on what the oil pressure should be, the discussion is posted in this thread.
What is oil pressure supposed to be?
Supposedly the pressure light comes on at 7 psi so you should be OK at 10 psi.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:34 PM   #36

I just completed this modification and tested it. I would highly recommend after testing oil pressure light "out times" and looking at the old piston definately looks like it had been catching/rubbing on the top/leading edge of the piston. A truely awful design.

My research indicated that 50 Nm was the correct torque value.

With the car level alot of oil will drain out so don't walk away and do something else like I did.....So in having to reset the oil level I discovered that one bar above minimum on the dash gauge gives a midlevel reading on the dip stick. This was completely cold and drained as one can be. It looks like the shops I have used in the past have been overfilling the oil.

Edit: It looks like I have used that one bar with some garden driving. Will have to reset again..may try two bars above min. What does this lower level philosophy do yo this ims bearing if anything

Last edited by jaykay; 08-16-2022 at 10:44 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Yes, and as the cassette shares the metal gasket with the water pump, it is a good time to replace the water pump and the oil pump drive shaft which is an investment cast piece of crap that is known to snap. LN has a chrome moly replacement for about $20.
Hats off to those able to do this in the car. Maybe a lift gives better perspective. It is tight up in there. Next time I have the firewall cover off I will look at ....but wow!