Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #21
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
What is the purpose of the alternator having a clutch?

Does it engage under computer control or is it static?
Here is a fairly decent explanation: Denlors Auto Blog » Blog Archive » Overrunning Alternator Decoupler – Clutch Type Alternator

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #22

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I was able to replace the pulley and belt easily and was hoping that would be the end of this thread however my car wont start now. I believe i installed everything correctly which is why i'm confused since it started even with the belt off.

I thought maybe the battery just died since its been sitting there for about a week, but whenever i hooked it up to my girlfriends car and charged it for about 10 minutes it still wouldn't start. Here's a video of me turning on the car. Here's a video of me trying to turn it on.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pedxsov6gcxEBjGwx9SAqkr_97ZAOxqX/view?usp=sharing

My 00' boxster has a little over 100K miles, i'm willing to change the alternator and agree that i probably should. Could this new problem be related to the alternator?

Thank you guys for the help!
jpdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
That pulley is completely normal. It is a declutching style pulley, the only thing missing is the snap on plastic from cover, which is decorative:

If the alternator is not making ratcheting sounds, put a new belt on it and you are done.
Hey JFP in PA..I thought this cap was some sort of dust cover. Are you sure it isn't needed? I am in the the middle of replacing mine as we speak and my Bosch part did not include the cap as well.

This actually happen to me last week. I heard a bit of squeaking from a the pulley and was going to check it over the weekend. Didn't make it cause the following day I actually heard someimg fly off and down the road and lost powering steering. I had towed and it turns out the alternator pulley came off. This alnerator has 150,000 miles on it
djw8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw8282 View Post
Hey JFP in PA..I thought this cap was some sort of dust cover. Are you sure it isn't needed? I am in the the middle of replacing mine as we speak and my Bosch part did not include the cap as well.

This actually happen to me last week. I heard a bit of squeaking from a the pulley and was going to check it over the weekend. Didn't make it cause the following day I actually heard someimg fly off and down the road and lost powering steering. I had towed and it turns out the alternator pulley came off. This alnerator has 150,000 miles on it
The cap is a dust/debris shield to keep crud out of the inner workings of the pulley.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #25

Thats what I thought. My replacement pulley did not come with one and I lost the orgininal. Can this part be purchased separately? I did a search and came up with no luck.

djw8282 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator , pulley