Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #1

2007 Order Guide PDF

Here it is...

It's pretty amazing all the different ways you can spend money blinging your boxster...

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #2

This is hilarious! I was just about to hit the "New Thread" button to ask when the '07 order guide was going to be available in pdf.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #3

Hmm. So the sport exhaust is on there... $2100... hmm...
Old 08-12-2006, 04:54 AM   #4
bmussatti

Thanks SD987! I have been wanting to see this.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #5

Yes, but I have yet to see pictures of said sport exhaust. I'd be interested, as I think the 986 one is quite nice, but if it's $2100 as an option, it will probably be at least $3000 as an add-on.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
Old 08-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987

Yes, but I have yet to see pictures of said sport exhaust. I'd be interested, as I think the 986 one is quite nice, but if it's $2100 as an option, it will probably be at least $3000 as an add-on.
I don't think there will be much to see. Maybe they put a different tip on the end and have a switch mounted on the dash to turn-off. You don't see a difference with the Carrera.

The 987 2006 Order Guide had this option listed in the first printing, and then they pulled it off the list. I actually orderd it last fall, and then was told it was not really available.

Hopefully they got this worked out for the 2007 buyers.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I don't think there will be much to see. Maybe they put a different tip on the end and have a switch mounted on the dash to turn-off. You don't see a difference with the Carrera.

The 987 2006 Order Guide had this option listed in the first printing, and then they pulled it off the list. I actually orderd it last fall, and then was told it was not really available.

Hopefully they got this worked out for the 2007 buyers.
This is interesting; so do we know what Porsche claims for this exhaust? For $2100 I hope and assume we are talking about a reasonable power increase? I wouldn't have thought they held much back with the stocker, in terms of efficiency though, so I'm curious.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #8

Tourist Delivery, $1150.00. Hmmm. If I buy a BMW, I get to take 3k or more OFF the price.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Y
This is interesting; so do we know what Porsche claims for this exhaust? For $2100 I hope and assume we are talking about a reasonable power increase? I wouldn't have thought they held much back with the stocker, in terms of efficiency though, so I'm curious.

There is NO power increase. Just improved sound. Same in the Carerra. I think this option for the Carerra is $2,400-$2,700.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:05 PM   #10

I don't think there will be much to see.

Um, the 986 PSE looks decidedly different. I'd actually be happy if they just made the 986 PSE compatible with the 987. As I've mentioned before, I've seen this combination once and it looked fierce. However, inquiries I've made as to retrofitting the 986 PSE to the 987 have returned "it's not worth the trouble it would be".

So that's why I want to see the 987 PSE to gauge the coolness for myself.

I agree that there is no performance incentive to hooking up a PSE.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold

Old 08-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #11

I actually don't like the tips on the 986 PSE. Think it looks a little gaudy. Belongs on a Harley or something.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I actually don't like the tips on the 986 PSE. Think it looks a little gaudy. Belongs on a Harley or something.
Agree; and just as I'd never buy an aftermarket exhaust that didn't make power, I'd sure never spend 2000 on a factory "upgraded" exhaust that doesn't either!
Old 08-14-2006, 06:21 PM   #13

Unbelievable waste of 2 grand (much more if retrofitted) for something that adds absolutely nothing except a VERY modest increase in volume and a tiny bit of bling. Spend your money on something else that makes a meaningful difference.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #14

Thumbs up

well, at least the price of basic metallic paints seems to have gone down $135, right?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #15

With regard to the PSE, I found this description, but not a picture.

With modified silencers. Includes switch in lower switch trim to activate the sports sound. In conjunction with Sport Chrono Package/Plus the sports sound can be activated with the sports button. Note: available from approx. 01/2007

Prospective buyers may want to check out the "Great Britain" configurator as it seems fully updated for 07 (e.g. shows sports design package, 19" turbo wheels etc.) . Of course prices don't match up, as Porsches are pretty stupid-expensive over there. I did a fullly loaded 987 S configuration which converted to about $123,000.00.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold

Old 08-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #16

With modified silencers. Includes switch in lower switch trim to activate the sports sound. In conjunction with Sport Chrono Package/Plus the sports sound can be activated with the sports button. Note: available from approx. 01/2007

I have a much cheaper suggestion with many more choices: A $15 CD with sounds from various sports cars and cranking it up on the audio speakers. Activated with the "play" button and adjusted with the "volume" knob. A bit more expensive but more realistic retrofit could connect the rpm gauge with a simple electronic synthesizer varying its volume and frequency proportionally to the rpms -- the synthesizer, again, hooked to the stereo. That shouldn't cost more than $200 in components.

Seriously, paying $2k+ for a different sound (especially when the stock sound is among the best in the car industry already) sounds ridiculous. But that's just me.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-nut
Unbelievable waste of 2 grand (much more if retrofitted) for something that adds absolutely nothing except a VERY modest increase in volume and a tiny bit of bling. Spend your money on something else that makes a meaningful difference.
While I agree that it may be expensive, it most definately makes a difference in the sound. The C4 I drove a few weeks ago with the PSE positively GROWLED at idle and low RPMs before slipping into an F1 type whine as speed increased. I don't think I'd pay for it new - but I'd definately take it on a used vehicle.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #18

Quote:

"Unbelievable waste of 2 grand"

Yes, in the world of rationale thought it's a bit steep, but in the alternate universe of Porsche options, it seems like a bargain. Some of my favorites include:

$440 for floormats
$1550 for powerseats (should be standard)
$690 for self-dim mirrors and rain sensor (should be standard)
$1760 for an aluminum shifter
$760 for seat belt buckles in leather (this might be the most absurd)
$240 clothes hook leather

Quote:

F1 type whine as speed increased

Sold. !

Quote:

I have a much cheaper suggestion with many more choices: A $15 CD

I'm going to go home and stick the GT4 CD in the stereo. At the worse I'll have a nicely mastered version of "Panama" to listen to.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold

Old 08-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Yes, in the world of rationale thought it's a bit steep, but in the alternate universe of Porsche options, it seems like a bargain. Some of my favorites include:

$440 for floormats
$1550 for powerseats (should be standard)
$690 for self-dim mirrors and rain sensor (should be standard)
$1760 for an aluminum shifter
$760 for seat belt buckles in leather (this might be the most absurd)
$240 clothes hook leather
Don't forget $665 for leather sun visors!