Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #21

Garage
1968 Dodge Polara I bought for $50 and got $35 when I scrapped it after using it for a winter car. The dipstick looked like a vanilla shake when you read the oil level. I always added a 30W non-detergent fearing I would knock a chunk of crud off and block an oil journal! Next was a 1965 AMC Rambler I bought for $200. It was an old Bell Telephone car painted "army green". I did sell it for $300 when I was done with it.

Larrymal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #22

Garage
An early '70's tan 3 door Pinto Automatic. Drove it in HS as my first car for about 6 mo's before it threw a rod - thanks goodness.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #23
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
An early '70's tan 3 door Pinto Automatic. Drove it in HS as my first car for about 6 mo's before it threw a rod - thanks goodness.
Pinto... As I remember, they had a problem with exploding if bumped from behind.

Makes me feel better about the whole IMS thing.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #24

1977 Pontiac Grand Prix

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #25

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG. Bought it used and fortunately got an extended warranty, which I have never done before and since. It ended up needing over $15k in warranty work beyond the factory warranty. Sold it a month before the extended warranty expired. Went like sink in a straight line but otherwise was very boring and spent alot of time in the shop. Positive was I got to try alot of other Mercedes products which were for the most part also pretty boring.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
A 1985 Ford Tempo and a 1986 Peugeot 505 GL wagon.
Snap! 1985 Ford Tempo. I had just arrived in the US from Europe and this was my first experience driving an automatic. I thought the automatic was the problem but it wasn't. It was the Tempo.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
My wife's 1976 Datsun B210 hatchback.
Yay! My folks bought a '78 new, and it was the very first car I ever drove. Good, honest little car, actually.

Most forgettable is a tie between a seriously boring '77 Accord, and an even more boring '87 Toyota Tercel. The Accord burned up her engine for want of a $.35 oil sending unit or some such. Good riddance.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #28

Garage
70 something Audi Fox. Tin floor rrrusted. My first front wheel drive but it wouldn't start if the temperature got below 32.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #29

1969 Toyota Corolla "Sprinter," in dark forest green. (Slope back with a trunk, not a hatchback.) Gutless 1077cc engine. No power anything, no A/C, barely went the speed limit, and had a crappy 8-track hanging below the dash, (till somebody broke in a stole it.) Ah yes, memories!

It was my first car, and within two years I'd traded it for my first new car - a spankin' new 74 Pinto Wagon with the Squire (fake) Woodgrain siding. Woohoo!

Dave
Old 12-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #30
MWS

I'm glad I started this thread...made me smile more than once, but also got me thinking.... Why does it seem that some of the "best times" were to be had in some of my "worst cars"? I guess it's the same thing as what I refer to as the "warm beer and cold pizza" syndrome, whereas the nostalgia of having a less than ideal *something* enhanced the experience...or at least via the filter of my fuzzy memory.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #31

What was your most forgettable car? LOL.

1973 Buick Riviera. Traded a Honda CB350 for it. Regretted that trade within days because the DMV couldn't provide clear title on the car so I could never drive it. Ended up selling it for scrap to a local auto wrecker.
RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:49 AM   #32

1997 Chevy Monte Carlo. It was a 2 door Lumina for all intensive purposes. I bought it brand new and used $5000 GM rebate dollars I'd been saving for 3 years on their credit card. It was a good thing I got $5k off the final negotiated price because it was a lemon.

Car wouldn't start when the engine was hot, windshield wipers would operate with the motor off and the keys out at random if I accidentally left them on when turning off the car and walking away... and to make matters worse the sunroof kept going off track and would get stuck open when it started to rain. Ugh.

Traded it for a CPO Lexus LS400 16 months later. The Lexus was one of the BEST daily drivers I've ever owned.

BTW, Lexus stealership put it in an auction, it was bought by another dealership and sold to a young lady who contacted me to find out what I knew about the car. Never returned her call.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #33

1995 Chevy Lumina Ran okay except for a bad plug wire. Tended to run hot and leak coolant from around the intake manifold. Developed a habit of not starting when hot, let it cool down and cancel the tow truck. It was white, and the paint peeled all the way down to the bare metal. It had the 3.1l V6, an ancient design that didn't get any better with age.

I had an AMC Gremlin X. X meant you paid extra for the bold decal package and aluminum painted wheels. I had it new and til about 18000 miles. If you slammed on the brakes, the rear axle would violently shudder, the vinyl seats cracked out after about a year, and the paint would wash off in the 25 cent carwash. Puke green metallic!

And, of course, a couple of Chevy Novas. nuff said.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
sold to a young lady who contacted me to find out what I knew about the car. Never returned her call.
How could you resist No returning a young lady phone call...???

...LOL

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote