Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

Garage
Battery Light (just with pre-check)

Hello!

My name is Ricardo and I’m a long time reader of the forum but never registered or posted before. Thanks for all the knowledge you guys share on this community.

My daily is a boxster S from 2002, loved the car since ever, and it has now 175000 kms, yes kms (roughly 105k miles), because I’m at the other side of the pound. I’m from Porto, Portugal to be more precise.

With this mileage the car is starting to have some little issues (or not so little) and some of them I would like to tackle them myself because, like you all, I enjoy it.

I searched several threads on this matter but none is exactly as mine so I decided to post and search for your feedback.

When I start the car, if I let the pre-check run (like the 5 seconds to measure the oil) I get the battery light on (that stays on, and corresponding message on cluster). If I start the car without running the pre-check it give me no battery light on the dash. I do this most of the time because it’s annoying to drive with the light on. It’s like this for a long time now (more than a year). Still never drained the battery or failed to start. I tried some workshops but none gave me a reasonable answer. Most just say it’s a bad alternator and want to fit an entirely new one. That’s easy, thanks! The further I investigated I learned that the alternator just starts charging after some revs. So, for example on a cold start it always starts charging (by the way that’s another issue, the car it’s revving too high on cold starts, but I will approach that later) but on a hot engine start, it just starts charging after a blip of the throttle or driving (revs again).

So do you think this could be as simple as a bad voltage regulator? or must be something else? I have read also something about bad ground and so on, but here I get confused.

All the best!

Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #2

How old is the battery?
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #3

Garage
I already changed it after the problem so is newer than the problem itself.

What puzzles me is the battery light turning on just if I let the pre-check run. Never on other way. And the fact that the alternator just charges after some revs.

Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote